This Page

has been moved to new address

The ULTIMATE Tantrum!

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
----------------------------------------------- */ body { background:#aba; margin:0; padding:20px 10px; text-align:center; font:x-small/1.5em "Trebuchet MS",Verdana,Arial,Sans-serif; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } /* Page Structure ----------------------------------------------- */ /* The images which help create rounded corners depend on the following widths and measurements. If you want to change these measurements, the images will also need to change. */ @media all { #content { width:740px; margin:0 auto; text-align:left; } #main { width:485px; float:left; background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:15px 0 0; padding:0 0 10px; color:#000; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } #main2 { float:left; width:100%; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 0 0; } #main3 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/rails_main.gif") repeat-y; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:240px; float:right; margin:15px 0 0; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; background:#fff; } #main2 { float:none; background:none; } #main3 { background:none; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Links ----------------------------------------------- */ a:link { color:#258; } a:visited { color:#666; } a:hover { color:#c63; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Blog Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 0; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #header div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #header { background:#456; } #header div { background:none; } } #blog-title { margin:0; padding:10px 30px 5px; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; } #blog-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#fff; } #description { margin:0; padding:5px 30px 10px; font-size:94%; line-height:1.5em; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 28px 0 43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#357; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px 0; } .post-title { margin:0; font-size:135%; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; color:#333; } a.title-link, .post-title strong { text-decoration:none; display:block; } a.title-link:hover { background-color:#ded; color:#000; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#fff; padding:10px 14px 1px 29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { background:#ded; margin:0; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px; border-bottom:1px solid #eee; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color:#666; text-align:right; } html>body p.post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ccc; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; color:#666; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:20px 0 15px 0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding:0 14px 2px 29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#333; } #comments-block { margin:0 15px 0 9px; } .comment-data { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; color:#666; } .comment-poster { font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#666; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#666; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #profile-container { background:#cdc url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 15px; padding:0 0 10px; color:#345; } #profile-container h2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 15px .2em; margin:0; border-width:0; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#234; } } @media handheld { #profile-container { background:#cdc; } #profile-container h2 { background:none; } } .profile-datablock { margin:0 15px .5em; border-top:1px dotted #aba; padding-top:8px; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #fff; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } #profile-container p { margin:0 15px .5em; } #profile-container .profile-textblock { clear:left; } #profile-container a { color:#258; } .profile-link a { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_profile.gif") no-repeat 0 .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } ul.profile-datablock { list-style-type:none; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .box { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color:#666; } .box2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 13px 8px; } } @media handheld { .box { background:#fff; } .box2 { background:none; } } .sidebar-title { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#333; } .box ul { margin:.5em 0 1.25em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; } .box ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding:0 0 3px 16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eee; line-height:1.4em; } .box p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; margin:0; padding:15px 0 0; } @media all { #footer div { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #footer div div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #footer div { background:#456; } #footer div div { background:none; } } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#fff;} /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding:0 15px 0; }

Friday, July 22, 2011

The ULTIMATE Tantrum!


Some days I feel outmatched as a mom.  My one-year-old, Dax, has always had a knack for tantrums, but the past couple of weeks he's really stepped up his game.

Here are a few sources of his latest angry tirades.

"Daaaa!"  (Daddy! Don't leave me!)
"Ahhhhhrrr!" (Don't shut fridge door!)
"Ooww!"  (Must go outside!)
"Ck! Ck!" (I want snack!)
"Ck! Ck!" (Give me drink!)
"Ck! Ck!" (Want milk!  No water!)
"Ahhh ga!!!" (Orange juice!!!  No milk!!!)

Then there was the ULTIMATE tantrum this week.  

We have a ceiling projector set up in our basement.  My kids had just finished watching a cartoon and Dax had the remote!   For fear of losing the remote forever, (as we have before) I confiscated the remote.   And it began.

Dax was mad!   I was standing up and he started ramming into my leg, also pinching me!  Ouch!

I attempted to ignore him and reached up to turn off the ceiling projector.  And, this is the honest truth.  A can of V-8 fruit juice fell from the sky and landed on my already screaming boy's head! (Please see footnote for falling juice explanation.)

Have you ever seen an already angry toddler get hit in the head?  He thought I did it on purpose!  I tried to cuddle my injured man, but he wanted nothing to do with that.  Now he was really mad.  For the next five minutes, Dax kept running and screaming.  Then he would purposely fall into a crying roll on the floor.  Again and again.

I decided to sit down and observe.  This backfired.  Crying, angry toddler came right at me and rammed his head into my knee!  My mommy heart just went out to my crazy injured dude.  He crumpled in my lap for just a minute.  I carried him upstairs.

But he didn't truly want cuddles.  Dax was just revamping.  As soon as we sat down, the guy took off!  He continued his screaming run and roll maneuver for another ten minutes!  I'm not sure he even knew why at this point.

Finally, my toddler wore himself out.  Dax got up, with tears still in his eyes, and headed to the kitchen.  He found a few goldfish crackers on a bench.

After his munching, my tired little boy came over and gave me the sweetest cuddles.  My favorite thing!  We sang "Twinkle Twinkle."  His favorite thing!  He was smiling and giggling...until the next tantrum.

I LOVE being a mom. 

Grumpy Grateful Mom Goal of the Day:  Beware of falling juice.

Footnote: I called my husband and inquired, "Did you happen to put a can of juice on top of the projector?"

"No.  Why would I...oh wait.  Ya I did.  I was trying to get the projector to go lower."

"Huh.  Nice to know."

Extra Footnote:  The pictures are not from the ultimate tantrum.  They are from this morning.  He was mad because I wouldn't let him teeter around on the top edge of the bathroom tub.

Labels: ,

37 Comments:

At July 22, 2011 at 9:41 AM , Blogger CaffeinatedOCMommy said...

GGM Darling, I just LOVE when Hubbys are SO helpful! I'm glad you made it through and got a cuddle at the end... xoxo

 
At July 22, 2011 at 9:43 AM , Blogger Sandy -- As Told By Mommy said...

Oh my heavens! Not looking forward to that! Lincoln is getting close enough already! Eek!

 
At July 22, 2011 at 9:47 AM , Blogger Jessica said...

Poor kid. And poor mommy. Hopefully your husband learned a lesson about not putting juice on the projector.

 
At July 22, 2011 at 10:42 AM , Blogger Victoria said...

Ouch... Meltdowns are something we are far too familiar with. I'm glad you got it under control. And I hope it doesn't happen again anytime soon!

 
At July 22, 2011 at 11:04 AM , Blogger Brandi said...

Falling juice, that is so funny! Sorry he has been having so many tantrums!

As I have been told many times (although I am not always sure its true) this too shall pass. DO you believe that???? :)

 
At July 22, 2011 at 11:12 AM , Blogger Help! Mama Remote... said...

I guess he said wth is going on. The tickle me with their mood swings.

 
At July 22, 2011 at 11:15 AM , Blogger Mom of 12 said...

Every kid has at last one good tantrum in him!
Sandy

 
At July 22, 2011 at 11:43 AM , Blogger Odiecoyote49 said...

Hi I am new to your site, my friend Kathy (my dishwasher is possessed) has got impeccable taste so I knew I'd love your site. My kids are older, 25, 14, and 11 so I have survived the tantrum years, but because my son's girlfriend has a 2yr. old son I have been thrown back into the trenches kicking and screaming. (no God whhhhy, I did my time). I know with a little exorcism he will be a sweet boy, but until then God help me.

 
At July 22, 2011 at 11:54 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I don't miss those days!!! My youngest could really throw a good one!!! The juice falling from the sky is just too much!!! That would happen in my house too, only I would have been the one to have left it there!!! I love reading your posts, whenever you show up in my reader I quickly pop over because I know I will read something to make me laugh and be glad that I'm a mom too!!! Take care!!

 
At July 22, 2011 at 12:34 PM , Blogger Odiecoyote49 said...

hi Kathy, thanks I love your posts too. The great thing about being an older mom is that I know this too shall pass, quickly I hope! Then as I remember come the horrible threes and that Momma's curse I did on my first son. How was I not thinking back then that he may ask me to babysit the little darling I wished upon him. Stupid, stupid, stupid!! I don't remember saying "100 times worse than you", but I must have. Be careful what you wish for, it may some back to haunt you.

 
At July 22, 2011 at 12:55 PM , Blogger Mikailah Autumn said...

Aw.. poor baby! And poor mommy! :) That is strange about the can of juice. Funny how those things happen sometimes...
Blessings,
~Mikailah~

 
At July 22, 2011 at 1:31 PM , Blogger raisingmarshmallows said...

You're definitely a Mommy with your hands full. ;)

 
At July 22, 2011 at 2:12 PM , Anonymous Jaime said...

That is funny! Funny vecause my daughter doesn't throw tantrums anymore, but when she did. So not funny!

 
At July 22, 2011 at 3:49 PM , Blogger Liz said...

That Husband Behavior earns both an eye roll and a sigh! Sheesh!

 
At July 22, 2011 at 4:21 PM , Blogger Irish Italian Blessings said...

Oh goodness, tantrums are my enemy! I will never understand them. I always say it's not fair that little people have an opinion before they can talk because I cannot read minds and don't know how to tell what they want if they can't tell me! No fair!!!

 
At July 22, 2011 at 6:21 PM , Blogger Karen Greenberg said...

Gotta love those tantrums. Unfortunately my 10-year-old STILL has them like that. I thought they outgrew tantrums as they got old enough to use their words. Apparently not.

 
At July 22, 2011 at 8:21 PM , Blogger Tatiana said...

oh good gracious, that is some hard stuff you have to go through. My kiddo is only 7months old and already has a tantrum problem. She gets her fists all tight and grunts each time she doesn't get her way. It pathetic really. And I'm in a lot of trouble.

 
At July 22, 2011 at 8:22 PM , Blogger The Lymans said...

I love all of the syllables he yells and how you know what each one means! I think you should publish a book about all of your adventures in parenting. I will preorder my copy now :)

 
At July 22, 2011 at 10:34 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

That is hilarious! It's hard not to laugh at them when they have those crazy tantrums - but that just makes them more mad! Thanks for the laugh! Following you!

Betina
http://www.mommyladyclub.com

 
At July 22, 2011 at 11:58 PM , Blogger Jaclyn M said...

NO Way I do not believe it.... not Dax. Sweet little Dax. Everytime I see him he is so sweet and quiet and loving. You truly must be mistaken ;) LOL just teasing. Best of luck for the next 2 years of tantrums (don't you feel like you have been through this before and each kids tantrum seem much worse than the previous??). I have a great idea.... We should get Dax and Alyssa together and have a competition. I bet my kid can throw a bigger tantrum than yours kind of battle LOL :P

 
At July 23, 2011 at 8:45 AM , Blogger Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I've got toddler tantrums x 2 at my house right now. I confess - sometimes they are really funny. I shouldn't laugh. But oh they get so mad over the craziest stuff. It's cute. Might as well think it's cute now, because I know from experience in another year it will SO NOT BE CUTE ANYMORE. heh.

 
At July 23, 2011 at 9:18 AM , Anonymous Marina said...

Being Mom is so hard. The tantrums drive me so crazy, I have to go forchocolate to relieve stress.

My 2 y. Old has these almost every hour! Sometimes she pouts quietly and othr times I think I will lose my hearing

 
At July 23, 2011 at 10:05 AM , Blogger AiringMyLaundry said...

I know how those go.

My daughter is 4 and likes to occasionally throw an Ultimate Tantrum. It's not fun when it happens in public.

 
At July 23, 2011 at 1:54 PM , Blogger Mercedes said...

The tantrums always seem forever when going through them, but the good times are so worth it.

 
At July 23, 2011 at 11:26 PM , Blogger Kimberly said...

Oh these tantrums can be epic! But those sweet snuggles afterward? Make it all go away!

Hopefully your husband learned to not put juice on the projector. ;)

 
At July 24, 2011 at 8:34 AM , Blogger I Am Not Superwoman said...

Ohhh I know this too well but with my 4 year old the last couple weeks. A major one when we were in Sunriver. I have a post stated. In the end though when it is all said and done and the hug & kisses start, we forget the previous (insert timeframe in here) of the tantrum. Our Hayden can last awhile. Have a blessed Sunday.

 
At July 24, 2011 at 1:35 PM , Blogger Shell said...

Oh yikes! Tantrums are so draining. For baby and mama.

 
At July 24, 2011 at 2:35 PM , Blogger Megan said...

oh my gosh I can relate!! why is it that 1 year olds already know how to throw tantrums!? so tiring.... love your blog! new follower :)

 
At July 24, 2011 at 4:49 PM , Blogger RaD said...

Oh do I remember the days! My daughter put the TERRIBLE into the phrase "terrible twos!"

 
At July 24, 2011 at 7:25 PM , Blogger Randomlicious Memoirs said...

I know those days all too well. Too well. Forget terrible two's my kids terrible Three's! He doesn't want to listen to a word I say and he's beginning to get jealous of his little sister. He used to be so well behaved! I Guess they can't all be perfect. But the good times make the bad times all worth it right?! Glad you endured!

 
At July 24, 2011 at 8:11 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I am so glad this ended in a snuggle. JDaniel used to have these too. Sometimes he still does.

 
At July 24, 2011 at 8:40 PM , Anonymous Making It Work Mom said...

You have to love post tantrum cuddle. It almost makes the tantrum worth it. I think it is their way of saying thank you for standing by me while I work out my emotional issues!

 
At July 24, 2011 at 11:31 PM , Blogger Kim said...

Ah, yes. Tantrums. A mother's nemesis. I hope it gets better.
Juice on the projector? Only a man, only a man. ;)

 
At July 25, 2011 at 6:31 PM , Blogger Liz Mays said...

It's such a blessing that they're as fickle as they are. Can you imagine if they kept those rotten moods all day like adults do?

He's adorable!

 
At July 26, 2011 at 10:36 AM , Blogger Abbie said...

They are like little tornados. Causing a huge fuss and its over in minutes. Gotta love them.
He is so cute!!!

 
At July 26, 2011 at 8:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!!! ROLLING. I mean not that he got hit in the head. But man I have totally been there.

 
At July 27, 2011 at 11:59 PM , Anonymous Ruth said...

LOL! I could picture every single step of the tantrum. So cute! We have those happen here too, and maybe it's bad to laugh, but I think it's kind of funny watching somebody so LITTLE express such BIG emotions!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home