This Page

has been moved to new address

Tales of my TV News Journey: Part 1 of 3

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
----------------------------------------------- */ body { background:#aba; margin:0; padding:20px 10px; text-align:center; font:x-small/1.5em "Trebuchet MS",Verdana,Arial,Sans-serif; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } /* Page Structure ----------------------------------------------- */ /* The images which help create rounded corners depend on the following widths and measurements. If you want to change these measurements, the images will also need to change. */ @media all { #content { width:740px; margin:0 auto; text-align:left; } #main { width:485px; float:left; background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:15px 0 0; padding:0 0 10px; color:#000; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } #main2 { float:left; width:100%; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 0 0; } #main3 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/rails_main.gif") repeat-y; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:240px; float:right; margin:15px 0 0; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; background:#fff; } #main2 { float:none; background:none; } #main3 { background:none; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Links ----------------------------------------------- */ a:link { color:#258; } a:visited { color:#666; } a:hover { color:#c63; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Blog Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 0; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #header div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #header { background:#456; } #header div { background:none; } } #blog-title { margin:0; padding:10px 30px 5px; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; } #blog-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#fff; } #description { margin:0; padding:5px 30px 10px; font-size:94%; line-height:1.5em; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 28px 0 43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#357; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px 0; } .post-title { margin:0; font-size:135%; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; color:#333; } a.title-link, .post-title strong { text-decoration:none; display:block; } a.title-link:hover { background-color:#ded; color:#000; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#fff; padding:10px 14px 1px 29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { background:#ded; margin:0; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px; border-bottom:1px solid #eee; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color:#666; text-align:right; } html>body p.post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ccc; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; color:#666; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:20px 0 15px 0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding:0 14px 2px 29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#333; } #comments-block { margin:0 15px 0 9px; } .comment-data { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; color:#666; } .comment-poster { font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#666; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#666; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #profile-container { background:#cdc url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 15px; padding:0 0 10px; color:#345; } #profile-container h2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 15px .2em; margin:0; border-width:0; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#234; } } @media handheld { #profile-container { background:#cdc; } #profile-container h2 { background:none; } } .profile-datablock { margin:0 15px .5em; border-top:1px dotted #aba; padding-top:8px; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #fff; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } #profile-container p { margin:0 15px .5em; } #profile-container .profile-textblock { clear:left; } #profile-container a { color:#258; } .profile-link a { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_profile.gif") no-repeat 0 .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } ul.profile-datablock { list-style-type:none; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .box { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color:#666; } .box2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 13px 8px; } } @media handheld { .box { background:#fff; } .box2 { background:none; } } .sidebar-title { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#333; } .box ul { margin:.5em 0 1.25em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; } .box ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding:0 0 3px 16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eee; line-height:1.4em; } .box p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; margin:0; padding:15px 0 0; } @media all { #footer div { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #footer div div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #footer div { background:#456; } #footer div div { background:none; } } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#fff;} /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding:0 15px 0; }

Monday, July 18, 2011

Tales of my TV News Journey: Part 1 of 3

Salt Lake City 1999

 A good blog friend emailed me this weekend, telling me she didn't get a job she had hoped for.  Uhg.  I was immediately reminded of three amazing job failures I've had.

The Tornado

I was a Broadcast Journalism graduate and in 1999 I was interning at a local TV station, KSL, in Salt Lake City.   I thought it was intimidating, but so fun to go out on stories.  I was always fascinated how the reporters would get recognized wherever we would go.

I worked hard.  I was even given two positions as a station Tour Guide and as a temporary Associate Producer while interning.  Then!  I was offered a full-time position as an Associate Producer.  Woo-hoo!  I was scheduled to fill out paperwork on August 11 at 1:00 pm

I might have been a little extra...I don't know the right word...uptight timely back then.  I would always go early to work and just hang out in my car, in the parking lot, for about fifteen minutes.  Traffic was so unpredictable and I was NEVER late.

The next day the woman who had given me the job was leaving to a different state.  She said not to worry--I had the job.  I only needed to fill out the paperwork.

The station manger called me into his office just after she left and said, in fact, "You do NOT have the job."   What!?!  I had, previously, told him that my goal was to work on camera, and he was looking for someone long-term.  I was crushed.

So, from 12:45 pm to 1:00 pm on August 11,  when I should have been sitting in the parking lot, waiting to fill out paper work, I was just chillin' in my apartment.  That's when it hit!

The tornado.

It struck from 12:45-12:55 pm, right through downtown Salt Lake, exactly where I would have been sitting in my car!   All of the car windows were blown out of the cars in that parking lot.  Eighty people were injured and a man died in the trade show tent that was adjacent to the parking lot.

I'm so grateful I didn't get that job.


Grumpy Grateful Mom Goal of the Day: Relax.  Being early is overrated.

Related Stories:

Labels: ,

36 Comments:

At July 18, 2011 at 7:43 AM , Blogger Megan said...

Wow, what an amazing story. I always say, everything happens for a reason. And this just goes to show that!

Ever since I had my children, I am extremely early. I wait, and wait...and wait. And the person I am meeting with is always late, appointments always start late. So, maybe I should just start showing up late? Like you said, being early is overrated. :)

 
At July 18, 2011 at 7:55 AM , Blogger Tammy said...

Great Story, I always say things happen for a reason. I am one of those people who are Never late. Glad you were not there!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 8:13 AM , Blogger Shell said...

Wow! Talk about a blessing in disguise!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 8:23 AM , Anonymous Amanda @ Gratefully Growing in Grace said...

God knows what he is doing, that is for sure!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 9:04 AM , Blogger Rochelle@AFamilyofLooneys said...

What a blessing you were not there. Isn't it funny how in certain moments we feel so down, but when we look back we see that it was a blessing how things turned out.

 
At July 18, 2011 at 9:17 AM , Blogger Crystal Jeffers said...

What an inspiring story of how things work even when they don't feel like they are. :)

 
At July 18, 2011 at 9:25 AM , Blogger Jessica said...

Wow! That was a close call and a sign that there is a reason that things in life happen for a reason.

 
At July 18, 2011 at 9:33 AM , Blogger Mom of 12 said...

I remember that tornado! I'm so glad you didn't get the job. It's crazy how bad things can turn out to be good ones.
Sandy

 
At July 18, 2011 at 9:40 AM , Blogger Sandy -- As Told By Mommy said...

Wow!!! Amazing story!!!!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 10:02 AM , Blogger Utah Mom said...

I love when we are able to look back and see the hand of God in our lives. What a great story. I love to be early for appointments only because it often gives me a chance to read. And I have to be early to church. It's a disease.

 
At July 18, 2011 at 10:39 AM , Blogger momnextdoor said...

Whoa! On the one hand it's great that you were able to avoid that natural disaster! It sounds like it was for the best. But I can't help but think that it's also a little too bad that you weren't there for it because you could have brought your story back to the mean boss and tried to bribe your way into the job. Not that I would have done something like that...I'm just saying you could have. :-)

 
At July 18, 2011 at 10:55 AM , Blogger Abbie said...

It was a blessing in disguise.

What started out as a very big disappointment ended with you being alive and no physical harm!!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 11:23 AM , Blogger Liz Mays said...

I felt badly for you at first, but not anymore. I'm happy that things turned out the way they did! Looking forward to the next 2 things also!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 11:39 AM , Blogger Jennifer said...

WOW! God reveals himself to us in various ways every day!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 11:53 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

It's amazing how things work out for you. It's lame you didn't get the job, but it's better that you didn't get hurt in a freak tornado that hit SLC. Crazy. It's awesome to look back at stuff like this and see the hand of the Lord protecting you. Thanks for sharing!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 12:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. How crazy! Good thing you didn't get that position!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 2:32 PM , Blogger Leda said...

So THAT'S why you are so good at writing this lil' blog! You have a way with words, and now I know why! So were you ever on TV? Because I've stared at your picture so many times thinking 'I know I've seen her before!' I was in Layton when the tornado hit. My sister from Texas and I were in the Shopko parking lot looking towards SLC. She said,"Where I come from, if the clouds look like that, there's going to be a tornado." Crazy. BTW, you chose the RIGHT profession...I'm sure there are 4 cute kids that would agree with me, just sayin'!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 2:36 PM , Blogger Texas Type A Mom said...

That's so amazing. Everything happens for a reason and a purpose even if we don't know it at the time. It's just incredible you were able to see the ramifications of just one event in your life unfold.

 
At July 18, 2011 at 4:59 PM , Blogger AiringMyLaundry said...

Wow, that is just crazy!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 5:01 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Isn't it strange how some things happen. What an amazing story!!! So glad you are hear to tell us about it!!!!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 5:07 PM , Blogger Jaclyn M said...

Great story! I am still THAT person. I will be the first one to any event just sitting there... Well when I am alone. My kids tend to make me a little more punctual or should I say fashionably late these days!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 5:35 PM , Blogger Handsfullmom said...

Wow, what a story!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 7:47 PM , Blogger I Am Not Superwoman said...

Quite the story. Wow, though gave me goosebumps. God definetly has other plans for you. Kinda scary though when you *really* think about it. Glad you didn't get the job.

 
At July 18, 2011 at 7:50 PM , Blogger Amber_D said...

I am terrified of tornadoes after this last year when I really saw with my own eyes what they can do. This story gave me chills.

 
At July 18, 2011 at 8:19 PM , Blogger Liz said...

Wow! I bet when you learned of what happened, you were rocked to your core!

 
At July 18, 2011 at 11:40 PM , Blogger Kimberly said...

Wow! Talk about a blessing in disguise! I do believe that there is a reason everything happens in life.

 
At July 18, 2011 at 11:49 PM , Blogger Help! Mama Remote... said...

Talk about thanking God for closing a door!

 
At July 19, 2011 at 7:26 AM , Blogger Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva said...

Wow! Definitly a good thing not to get that job. Boy, what a testimony of God's watchfulness over your life.
~Kimberlee
www.TheSpunkyDiva.com

 
At July 19, 2011 at 8:13 AM , Blogger Brandi said...

WOW! That is crazy!!! Glad you weren't there!

 
At July 19, 2011 at 2:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I know this is random, but you have the same exact name as my 18 year old daughter. I found your blog by googling your name. Small world. I like your blog being about things you are grateful for.

 
At July 19, 2011 at 3:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems we are always in a place for a reason, we don't know it then and sometimes find out sooner than later, and sometimes never find out ... I'm happy you were spared from who knows what could have happened that day. Grace of God.

 
At July 19, 2011 at 3:57 PM , Blogger Lourie said...

I remember thinking how impossible that was! And yet there it was. Crazy. I lived in Northern CA at the time. So glad u were not there. And yeah being early can def be overrated. ;)

 
At July 19, 2011 at 10:20 PM , Anonymous Julie said...

This is my first time to your blog, LOVE it!!!! Ok, let me tell you... you have such a way with words!!!! What an amazing story of being blessed even if we don't see it at that moment. "if you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change."

 
At July 20, 2011 at 6:18 AM , Blogger Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Wow, what an interesting story. The job I wanted most but never got was doing marketing for a local program that trains therapy dogs. It was a cool job, and I got called back for a 2nd interview, but after that they didn't pick me. This was years ago, but I sure would've loved that job!

 
At July 20, 2011 at 9:24 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

WOW! No wonder Indian food didn't scare you :)

 
At July 24, 2011 at 7:42 PM , Blogger Randomlicious Memoirs said...

I have no words! That is wow! Isn't it weird how things work out? So glad you didn't get that job!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home