This Page

has been moved to new address

Tales of my TV News Journey: Part 3 of 3

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
----------------------------------------------- */ body { background:#aba; margin:0; padding:20px 10px; text-align:center; font:x-small/1.5em "Trebuchet MS",Verdana,Arial,Sans-serif; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } /* Page Structure ----------------------------------------------- */ /* The images which help create rounded corners depend on the following widths and measurements. If you want to change these measurements, the images will also need to change. */ @media all { #content { width:740px; margin:0 auto; text-align:left; } #main { width:485px; float:left; background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:15px 0 0; padding:0 0 10px; color:#000; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } #main2 { float:left; width:100%; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 0 0; } #main3 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/rails_main.gif") repeat-y; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:240px; float:right; margin:15px 0 0; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; background:#fff; } #main2 { float:none; background:none; } #main3 { background:none; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Links ----------------------------------------------- */ a:link { color:#258; } a:visited { color:#666; } a:hover { color:#c63; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Blog Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 0; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #header div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #header { background:#456; } #header div { background:none; } } #blog-title { margin:0; padding:10px 30px 5px; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; } #blog-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#fff; } #description { margin:0; padding:5px 30px 10px; font-size:94%; line-height:1.5em; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 28px 0 43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#357; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px 0; } .post-title { margin:0; font-size:135%; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; color:#333; } a.title-link, .post-title strong { text-decoration:none; display:block; } a.title-link:hover { background-color:#ded; color:#000; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#fff; padding:10px 14px 1px 29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { background:#ded; margin:0; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px; border-bottom:1px solid #eee; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color:#666; text-align:right; } html>body p.post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ccc; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; color:#666; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:20px 0 15px 0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding:0 14px 2px 29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#333; } #comments-block { margin:0 15px 0 9px; } .comment-data { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; color:#666; } .comment-poster { font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#666; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#666; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #profile-container { background:#cdc url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 15px; padding:0 0 10px; color:#345; } #profile-container h2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 15px .2em; margin:0; border-width:0; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#234; } } @media handheld { #profile-container { background:#cdc; } #profile-container h2 { background:none; } } .profile-datablock { margin:0 15px .5em; border-top:1px dotted #aba; padding-top:8px; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #fff; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } #profile-container p { margin:0 15px .5em; } #profile-container .profile-textblock { clear:left; } #profile-container a { color:#258; } .profile-link a { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_profile.gif") no-repeat 0 .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } ul.profile-datablock { list-style-type:none; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .box { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color:#666; } .box2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 13px 8px; } } @media handheld { .box { background:#fff; } .box2 { background:none; } } .sidebar-title { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#333; } .box ul { margin:.5em 0 1.25em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; } .box ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding:0 0 3px 16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eee; line-height:1.4em; } .box p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; margin:0; padding:15px 0 0; } @media all { #footer div { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #footer div div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #footer div { background:#456; } #footer div div { background:none; } } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#fff;} /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding:0 15px 0; }

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Tales of my TV News Journey: Part 3 of 3

Hitting the Big Time!

I loved working at a ski resort!   Free skiing!  And!  As I was physically working in the cold all day, I could eat massive amounts of food, while my extra pounds just melted off.  I also saw Tony Danza skiing once.  I know your jealous.

Still, I kept applying for broadcasting jobs.  Then it happened!   I got a position as a morning and noon news anchor!!!  It was in small-time Idaho Falls, but I wasn't going to be picky.

My new boss told me, "See this large box.  It's filled with resume tapes of people who want this job.  (It was.) There are many more experienced people applying for this job.  You are not qualified for this position, but, I had a good feeling about you." No pressure.

Still, for someone who used to be terrified!!! of public speaking this was truly scary.  I did do some anchoring in college (also scary), but that was...college.  Now, this was REAL.

I was given a makeover.  They cut my hair and gave me a lovely football helmet look.  Then, they had the nerve to pluck my enormous eyebrows.   Since my salary was so meager (less than the ski resort) they also gave me an itty-bitty clothing allowance, which I never used.

The coloring in this photo didn't transfer well, but here I am, sporting a lovely news anchor vampire look.

Surprisingly, on camera I wasn't nervous.  It seemed like I was only talking to a camera and a few people in the studio, rather than the ten people who were actually watching.

I had always thought it would be so fun to get recognized and it began, almost as soon as I started.  I would be at the bank, the store, walking down the street, and people would come up to me, sometimes even saying nice things.  Exciting right?  Only it wasn't.   I felt awkward.

At the news station I was in my comfort zone.  I befriended all of the people I was working with.  My co-anchor was like a big teasing brother.

And, I thought I was doing a decent job.  I also often ended up helping to produce the show, as my producer, who I adored, had a bit of a drug problem.  Our minuscule ratings were even up!

One night,  there was a highly unusual weather situation in Idaho Falls.  A bad storm hit and caused some damage, maybe from a micro-burst.  I can't remember.  It was a big story for the local news!  My power went out and I had no idea about any damage.  I went to bed early so I could still get up at my normal 2 am hour.  

When I went into work, my producer hadn't made it to work again.  I would be producing and anchoring for the day.

The news director came in later and started just yelling at me.  "Why didn't you come in!  No one came in!  Didn't you know we needed help covering stories last night!"  I should have said, "My power was out.  I didn't know what happened.  You should have called me."

BUT, I wasn't so skilled at confrontations back then.  I took the berating and didn't say a word.  I would like to shake my old self.  "Stand up for yourself!"  But I digress.

Except for that day, I really had a blast in my news job, but it wasn't to last.  After about six months, I was blindsided!

New management took over our parent company and I was called in to meet with them.  They were changing things up, getting rid of people--including me!  There was a six month out in my contract, so I didn't technically get fired, but really, I did.

My co-anchor would be leaving too.  His contract was up in just a couple of months and they weren't renewing.   My occasionally high producer kept her job.

 Their supposed reasoning behind the decision was very lengthy and confusing.  It had to do with a competing station. They, of course, topped it off by mentioning the time I didn't come in during the storm.  Again, I said nothing!

 I admit, I did flub my words daily a bit, and there was also that day where I accidentally burst out laughing on-air...and couldn't stop, but they didn't bring it up.

I was later informally asked if I would like to move to weekend anchor or producer.  I preferred to leave. 

I was most upset because there weren't other job options for me near Idaho Falls.  I knew I would have to move, away from the guy I was dating. 

We were not a good match, but I was so attached.  I couldn't break it off while I lived there.  Thankfully, he wasn't ready to propose.

I moved back, to a different area of Salt Lake, and met my wonderfully sweet, handsome, and cheesy charming husband at a church activity just a couple days later.

Sure, he completely snubbed me at our first meeting and dated my best friend before me, but, that's a story for another day.

I'm so grateful I lost my anchor job.

Thus ended my TV news journey.  I went on to sell and write radio commercials, became a college recruiter, and now I have a most challenging, but rewarding career as a stay-at-home mom.

Some days I think my kids would like to fire me, but they are forever stuck.  Haha!

I know people don't get jobs and are fired from jobs and there isn't a seemingly good reason.  Life doesn't always take a turn out for the better, but I still can't discount the experiences I've had.   I am grateful for them.

Grateful Mom Goal:  Try to see the big picture.  

Related Stories:

Labels: ,

39 Comments:

At July 20, 2011 at 8:10 AM , Blogger Liz Mays said...

I really do think things fall in line the way they're supposed to, and it's not easy to see in the moment, but looking back at things...yep, they work out just as they should.

That was really fun to read about your start in the business, and I'm sure you're not the only new anchor to not know how to speak up in a confrontational situation. You were cute! (And so sorry about your niece.)

 
At July 20, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I've loved reading this series. So fun! Glad you and Brett met and got married, even though he dated your best friend :)

 
At July 20, 2011 at 8:36 AM , Anonymous Amanda @ Gratefully Growing in Grace said...

These have been beautiful stories. Thank you so much for sharing. That wedding photo is great!

 
At July 20, 2011 at 8:48 AM , Blogger Natalie said...

Wow what a journey to where you are now! Things always happen for a reason!

 
At July 20, 2011 at 8:57 AM , Blogger Mimi said...

I really have enjoyed your series. Loved reading every bit of it - you are such a wonderful writer and storyteller. I'm glad you met Brett too! :)

 
At July 20, 2011 at 8:58 AM , Blogger mrsmarkdave said...

Wow! I want to see a clip of you cracking up on the air.

My husband was laid off from a job 3 years ago. and that was a major hurt to the feelings. But there were so many blessings that came from that, that I can't even start naming them.

But maybe I will. Someday. In a blog post.

 
At July 20, 2011 at 9:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great story and I love your wedding picture.

 
At July 20, 2011 at 9:18 AM , Blogger Janette @ The Johanson Journey said...

I love your writing!! Its always so fun to read! You looked so cute in the lil' anchor pic!! Love the wedding shot! That's priceless!!

 
At July 20, 2011 at 9:20 AM , Blogger Missy | Literal Mom said...

What a great story! And how cute you look as a news anchor.

 
At July 20, 2011 at 9:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an amazing journey. I studied Broadcast the 1 year I was in College. I met my husband at the tv station, he was a senior, so after he graduated I made the big decision to not go back to school and move away with him, the rest is history. Everything happens for a reason and in the moment you just have to go with what you think is right.

The biggest upside for me (well other than meeting my husband) was I have no loans to pay back!

 
At July 20, 2011 at 9:26 AM , Blogger Mom of 12 said...

It's so fun to get to know you better! Wow, you are a celebrity...another brush with fame for me.
Sandy

 
At July 20, 2011 at 9:33 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

It's always sooo fun to hear people's stories .... and btw, you look adorable in your tv pic!

 
At July 20, 2011 at 9:35 AM , Blogger CaffeinatedOCMommy said...

Love this GGM Darling! Thanks for sharing... xoxo

 
At July 20, 2011 at 9:43 AM , Blogger Abbie said...

When we look back, we can see the method to the madness. this story illustrates it perfectly.
Thank you for sharing!

 
At July 20, 2011 at 11:00 AM , Blogger Jaclyn M said...

I had no idea you were ever a news anchor. That is an awesome story. I love your posts you are always so fun. I think you would do amazing writing a column or something.... I'm sure you could find tons of time to work on it from home :P jk

 
At July 20, 2011 at 12:19 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

I also had no idea that you were a news anchor-I know that is a job I could NEVER do! Thank you for sharing about your experiences and how things always work out the in the special ways God has planned for us.

 
At July 20, 2011 at 12:49 PM , Blogger Karen Greenberg said...

I couldn't imagine being recognized by strangers and having them come up and talk to me. I have a hard enough time when I run into students at the store. Of course, the first time was when I was buying underwear at Wal-Mart. That was embarrassing! Things do happen for a reason, though, and seeing the big picture is a great goal. I need to work on that myself. It's REALLY hard to do sometimes, though.

 
At July 20, 2011 at 1:05 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I am sorry about your job loss, but it made a wonderful story for me to read.

I survived my moment in the sun today with several flubs.

 
At July 20, 2011 at 1:06 PM , Blogger Erin said...

What an interesting and lovely story about your in-front-of-the-camera career!

 
At July 20, 2011 at 1:51 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Just found you from Kathy(my dishwasher's possessed)! Really enjoyed reading this, and I do think timing in life is everything. It's so much like that Sliding Door movie with Gwyneth Paltrow. She missed the train, and she has a completely different life from the one where she makes it.
So nice to meet you!
Courtney
http://www.mommyladyclub.com

 
At July 20, 2011 at 2:42 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This has been so much fun learning a bit more about you!! It is so strange how things work out isn't it. I met my husband 21 years ago yesterday because I decided not to go to Pittsburg to meet a guy I was dating and my roomate told me to call the guy that a friend had given me the number too! I had been carrying around his number for 3 weeks! You were a beautiful bride!! What a cute couple you are!!! Lindsay from Life as 5 did an interview with me and asked me who my favoirit bloggers were, I said you never failed to make me laugh!! Take care!!

 
At July 20, 2011 at 3:43 PM , Blogger Mandi said...

Great series! I really enjoyed reading and getting to know a little bit more about you. Ahhh, the long and winding road, right? I too wish I could go back and shake my younger self on a few things...

:D

Mandi
Smile and Mama With Me

 
At July 20, 2011 at 4:45 PM , Blogger Lynne said...

What a great story! Sometimes our let downs end up being our biggest blessings :) I'm glad it all worked out in the end for you!

 
At July 20, 2011 at 5:09 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

What an awesome story. It was great to be able to look back and see who things fell into place. Thanks so much for sharing!

 
At July 20, 2011 at 6:17 PM , Blogger Brandi said...

It's amazing how things turn out! Always for a reason! :)

 
At July 20, 2011 at 6:37 PM , Blogger Sandra Tyler said...

Hey, I really like that haircut! Cute! And the story of course...can't help that I keep coming back to you..always a good read after days like today, a particularly grumpy one for me, as I have three children sometimes instead of two when I count having to take care of my mother and drag the boys around to her doc appts -- when does school start? Is it fall yet???

 
At July 20, 2011 at 6:54 PM , Blogger Karen Greenberg said...

Oh Sandra, I'm so glad I'm not the only one asking if summer is over yet! I've beenhelping my dad while he had a bad kidney stone then surgery. He's been able to take care of himself but needed to have someone with him while he was on certain medications. For some reason the kids just seemed really loud and obnoxious these last two weeks. Hang in there! School will start soon.

 
At July 20, 2011 at 7:03 PM , Blogger Rach (DonutsMama) said...

What a cool story! I guess things always happen for a reason!

 
At July 20, 2011 at 7:58 PM , Blogger Jen said...

What a great post! Love that picture at the end...you guys look so happy!!

 
At July 20, 2011 at 10:38 PM , Blogger Kimberly said...

What an amazing journey to where you are now! I guess things really do happen for a reason!

 
At July 21, 2011 at 1:54 AM , Blogger Jessica said...

Things seem to always work out for a reason.

Do you have any of your old news reports on tape?

 
At July 21, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Blogger Rochelle@AFamilyofLooneys said...

I loved reading your story. Love the photo of you and your husband.

 
At July 21, 2011 at 10:04 AM , Blogger Mandi said...

One more comment from to let you know I awarded you with the 'Blog on Fire' award. Click link to go check it out!!

http://smileandmamawithme.blogspot.com/2011/07/do-you-smell-smoke.html

 
At July 21, 2011 at 11:12 AM , Blogger Valerie said...

Loved reading all this stuff about you. How brave you are! I would never be able to talk on camera every day.

I had my life pretty planned out when I was in high school. You could say just about nothing has gone as planned, but I know my Heavenly Father has a better plan for me, even when others use their agency wrongly. I just have to "try to see the big picture" like you said. We all need to.

 
At July 21, 2011 at 11:52 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, great story! I actually like your anchor woman hairdo. Love the wedding photo too!

 
At July 21, 2011 at 10:36 PM , Blogger AiringMyLaundry said...

Great story and I LOVE that wedding photo.

My son actually told me the other day that I was fired. I was like, "Sorry Donald Trump, not gonna happen."

 
At July 22, 2011 at 8:45 AM , Blogger Mrs G said...

Love this story, really makes you think that everything is for a reason even if you dont understand it at the time.

I have nominated you for the butterfly award, check out the post here:

http://illtake2ofeverything.blogspot.com/2011/07/i-won-award.html

 
At July 24, 2011 at 7:39 AM , Blogger Tammy said...

As always I really enjoyed reading your recent posts. I do believe things happen for a reason. Love those pictures! Awesome :)

 
At July 24, 2011 at 7:40 PM , Blogger Randomlicious Memoirs said...

I need to go read part 2 and 1 this was great! How interesting that you were on a local news station! So awesome. Thanks for sharing, I feel like I know a lot more about you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home