This Page

has been moved to new address

The Dangers of Grocery Shopping

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
----------------------------------------------- */ body { background:#aba; margin:0; padding:20px 10px; text-align:center; font:x-small/1.5em "Trebuchet MS",Verdana,Arial,Sans-serif; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } /* Page Structure ----------------------------------------------- */ /* The images which help create rounded corners depend on the following widths and measurements. If you want to change these measurements, the images will also need to change. */ @media all { #content { width:740px; margin:0 auto; text-align:left; } #main { width:485px; float:left; background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:15px 0 0; padding:0 0 10px; color:#000; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } #main2 { float:left; width:100%; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 0 0; } #main3 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/rails_main.gif") repeat-y; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:240px; float:right; margin:15px 0 0; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; background:#fff; } #main2 { float:none; background:none; } #main3 { background:none; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Links ----------------------------------------------- */ a:link { color:#258; } a:visited { color:#666; } a:hover { color:#c63; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Blog Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 0; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #header div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #header { background:#456; } #header div { background:none; } } #blog-title { margin:0; padding:10px 30px 5px; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; } #blog-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#fff; } #description { margin:0; padding:5px 30px 10px; font-size:94%; line-height:1.5em; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 28px 0 43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#357; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px 0; } .post-title { margin:0; font-size:135%; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; color:#333; } a.title-link, .post-title strong { text-decoration:none; display:block; } a.title-link:hover { background-color:#ded; color:#000; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#fff; padding:10px 14px 1px 29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { background:#ded; margin:0; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px; border-bottom:1px solid #eee; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color:#666; text-align:right; } html>body p.post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ccc; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; color:#666; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:20px 0 15px 0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding:0 14px 2px 29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#333; } #comments-block { margin:0 15px 0 9px; } .comment-data { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; color:#666; } .comment-poster { font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#666; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#666; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #profile-container { background:#cdc url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 15px; padding:0 0 10px; color:#345; } #profile-container h2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 15px .2em; margin:0; border-width:0; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#234; } } @media handheld { #profile-container { background:#cdc; } #profile-container h2 { background:none; } } .profile-datablock { margin:0 15px .5em; border-top:1px dotted #aba; padding-top:8px; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #fff; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } #profile-container p { margin:0 15px .5em; } #profile-container .profile-textblock { clear:left; } #profile-container a { color:#258; } .profile-link a { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_profile.gif") no-repeat 0 .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } ul.profile-datablock { list-style-type:none; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .box { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color:#666; } .box2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 13px 8px; } } @media handheld { .box { background:#fff; } .box2 { background:none; } } .sidebar-title { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#333; } .box ul { margin:.5em 0 1.25em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; } .box ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding:0 0 3px 16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eee; line-height:1.4em; } .box p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; margin:0; padding:15px 0 0; } @media all { #footer div { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #footer div div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #footer div { background:#456; } #footer div div { background:none; } } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#fff;} /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding:0 15px 0; }

Monday, June 27, 2011

The Dangers of Grocery Shopping

I've been feeling good about my shopping trips.  Last month, I lugged my gaggle of four: Dani (7), Evie (5), Mase (3), and Dax (1), to the grocery store several times, with no major incidents.

This week was different.

Dani brought her new friend Moppy with us. There was a Moppy scuffle in the parking lot.  Mase wanted to hold Moppy.   After not getting his way, Mase did his usual tantrum face plant.  This didn't work so well on the hard parking lot cement.  Mase cried for a while, but didn't hurt himself too badly.

Moppy was not so lucky.  She lost an eye.

Then, there was Dax.  He decided his luxury seat in the shopping cart was not good enough.  He kept wriggling out of his buckle and attempting to stand!

It was too risky to let him out; he's a bolter.  I ended up holding him down with one hand and pushing the cart with the other, while he wailed in protest!

Meanwhile, Mase was practicing his ninja turns.  In an un-ninja-like fashion he tripped and fell.  I then, accidentally, ran over his finger with the cart.  Only one finger.

He finally calmed down.  I was still pushing the cart with one hand, while holding a crying Dax down.  I ran over Dani's toe next.  After this injury, I was more careful.  I kept hollering out, "Stay away from the cart.  Keep all fingers and toes far away from the cart."

We still had more things to get!  I thought my fellow customers (and myself!) could use a crying break.   I ripped open a package of string cheese to appease Dax, then some cookies, and finished off his shopping meal with a piece of bread.

We made it out!  

Dax cried in the car, but quickly fell asleep on the way home and slept for a delightful, cry-free, three hours!  

The rest of us had ice cream.

Grumpy Mom Goal of the Year: Do more shopping when my husband can stay home with the kids.

Labels: ,

45 Comments:

At June 27, 2011 at 7:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

that definitely sounds like an adventurous shopping trip! I only have the 1 babe and I never make it out of the store without opening something first. Every single item I put in the shopping cart he begs "want some want some!" or "hold it hold it!"

Going grocery shopping - any errands - without the kids is like a day at the spa, so relaxing and stress free.

 
At June 27, 2011 at 7:28 AM , Anonymous Amanda @ Gratefully Growing in Grace said...

You are a braver woman than I, taking four kids to the store. I love to go when my husband is home with the kids. It's like a vacation.... a real, true vacation!

 
At June 27, 2011 at 7:35 AM , Blogger Rochelle@AFamilyofLooneys said...

All I can say is bless you. Taking kids shopping is not fun. I have a bolter too. What really gets me is when other folks are watching you chase him and offer no help.

 
At June 27, 2011 at 7:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I run short errands during the week with my (2) kids, but leave the big grocery trips for when my husband can stay home with the kids. I find that if I go with them, I end up spending a lot more money and buying things I don't need...aka...lots of junk food.

Sometimes when I go grocery shopping by myself I will stop off and run a few other errands as well. It is so much more peaceful that way :)

 
At June 27, 2011 at 8:21 AM , Blogger Vanessa said...

Grocery shopping is the worst. I only have 3 and I added one thing to the list of things of Do's and Don'ts with 3 kids. DO NOT GO TO WALMART IN THE MIDDLE OF A FRIDAY AFTERNOON WITH 3 KIDS. Nope never again.. Sorry you had a bad shopping trip.
At least you have food, and Ice cream is always a bonus....

 
At June 27, 2011 at 8:24 AM , Blogger Jennifer said...

A trick I used to use when my kiddos were smaller: Use a scarf to tie them in-You can make it as tight as you want and hopefully your sweetie will not be able to escape...as easily!!

 
At June 27, 2011 at 8:53 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

You have your hands full that is for sure. I admire your patience though! :) And, I'm not going to lie, your blog is always entertaining! :)

 
At June 27, 2011 at 8:54 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I have been so scared by our shopping adventures that I still don't like to go shopping with all three of my angels even though they are 12, 9 and 6. I could not stop laughing over running over fingers and holding babies and yelling out, stay away from the cart!! I really do wish we lived closer, I would love to have a cup of coffee with you! Thanks for always making me laugh!!! I love your site!

 
At June 27, 2011 at 8:57 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

See this is why I'd get sooo mad when people would give me dirty looks when I hooked Buddy to the the baby leash thing when he was younger (notice I didn't say littler ... I don't think he was ever really little -- he grew out of the darn shopping cart at a WAY young age). I'd leash him to the shopping cart and he'd pretend he was a horse pulling it -- he *loved* it, and I'd have the peach of mind to know that he was going crazy.

You're amazing to do 4 little ones though ...

 
At June 27, 2011 at 9:20 AM , Blogger Jessica said...

My kid always tries to stand in the cart or I have to hold her. I have stopped shopping unless my husband either keeps the kids with him at home or he comes with us. It's too hard without him.

 
At June 27, 2011 at 9:21 AM , Blogger Heather H said...

This was hilarious! Sounds like one of my shopping trips - except I only have one. WE are the ones fighting with her in the parking lot to leave her toys in the car, she fights to get out of the buggy, and then inevitably when she makes it out, we have some sort of accident between her and the buggy (normally her stepping off while I am pushing and then her foot getting run over).

Thanks for the laugh!

 
At June 27, 2011 at 9:25 AM , Blogger Help! Mama Remote... said...

Poor Moppy. My kids are 16,10 & 3 & I refuse to take them to the store. Its a rare occasion that I would take them. One wrong turn l “m making a u turn.

 
At June 27, 2011 at 10:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray for those three hours!

 
At June 27, 2011 at 12:16 PM , Blogger Irish Italian Blessings said...

You seriously deserve an award..for this one I give you "Bravest Mom Award" After my daughter was born I was terrified to take her to the store...I can't imagine 4...kids! Glad you at least got some ice cream out of the deal :)

 
At June 27, 2011 at 12:51 PM , Blogger Mrs E said...

I feel your pain... I only do big shops when i'm alone OR when hubby tags along and we split kids and the list in half!

Last year I had a scary accident at ShopRite where the cart tipped and Paige (still in infant carrier at time) flipped out and I barely caught her before she landed...

Will.NEver.Go.Alone.Again. for a big shop

 
At June 27, 2011 at 1:39 PM , Blogger Mom of 12 said...

Shopping like that is so hard! I try to sneak away with maybe just the baby when I go.
Sandy

 
At June 27, 2011 at 2:29 PM , Blogger Shell said...

I hate even thinking about having to take mine all with me grocery shopping! I go late at night so I can go kidfree.

I miss grocery shopping in Pittsburgh- b/c there was free childcare in the grocery store.

 
At June 27, 2011 at 6:25 PM , Blogger Abbie said...

I remember when I was forced to take the kids to the grocery store. I would give them one banana to split only, if I knew they wouldnt make it past the first aisle. When we got to the cookie aisle, I opened it and gave them one cookie at a time. of course I would pay for the items.

 
At June 27, 2011 at 7:26 PM , Blogger Saunders Crew said...

your so brave. i would never take my kids grocery shopping! sometimes i'll take my 9 year old daughter but thats it!!!

 
At June 27, 2011 at 7:30 PM , Blogger Sandra Tyler said...

Shoot, you're brave. I don't like going to the store even with TWO.

 
At June 27, 2011 at 7:59 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Crack me up!! I try to NEVER take all kids shopping. Taking Brady alone is a task in itself. You brave soul. I loved the shopping cart buffet and the disclaimer of possible bodily injury :)

 
At June 27, 2011 at 9:31 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

While I am sure it was not funny at the time...I may, possibly be laughing. :-) Enjoy a Mommy treat after that outing!

 
At June 27, 2011 at 10:10 PM , Blogger Heather said...

Thank you for reminding me why I go through great pains to never take more than two kids to the store at a time. Even if that means leaving a couple of at home with the dogs.

Nice to meet you from Belle, a Bean and a Chicago Dog.

 
At June 27, 2011 at 10:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh bless your heart. Doesn't it seem like they do so well for a bit then all hell breaks loose. I remember one time while in Wal-Mart (which I hate going into anyway), Ben was 2 (you know that uber fun stage of throwing a fit about anything at the drop of a dime)he wanted an orange. So rather than fighting that fight I told each of the kids they could pick out something for snack. No biggy right, right. Then Jenny (6) wanted an apple, yeah for me super healthy snack kids. Then Rikki's (4) turn came around and she wanted a birthday cake. As I was trying my hardest to explain to her that she was not going to get birthday cake for snack she sprints over picks one up and throws it on the ground screaming I want this one. This was the moment that I realized that the meaning behind "terrible twos" is that it lasted two terrible years.

 
At June 28, 2011 at 1:30 AM , Blogger Kimberly said...

This? Is exactly how our shopping trips play out. If I can manage sneaking out at night without my monsters with me, I'll go alone. But if I have to take them? I'm screwed.

 
At June 28, 2011 at 2:15 AM , Blogger The Suburban Princess said...

Ah, the bolter. I have one of those too! :)

 
At June 28, 2011 at 8:04 AM , Blogger Janette @ The Johanson Journey said...

heh.. love these stories. I am just happy to hear that not 1 of the 4 had to use the restroom during your adventure. Its a nightmare everytime we go.. we get to the back of the store and Ryan has to 'poop'... we have to walk ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the way back to the front, poop and then start all over.. get back in teh back again-- he has to poop again.. ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the way back to the front. ugh!!

 
At June 28, 2011 at 8:18 AM , Blogger I Am Not Superwoman said...

Agreed. This is why I try and rarely take the kiddos shopping. Glad you made it home in one piece.

 
At June 28, 2011 at 12:27 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I've been more entertained in the last 10 minutes of reading your blog and the hilarious yet sympathetic comments than I was when I last went out to the movies. I remember taking five out with me when I was a nanny. Two infant twins, a three, four and five year old. I used two shopping carts to haul them around. I think we ended up buying M and M's. That was all. There might have been a list but someone must have eaten it. Thanks for following my blog today...I look forward to reading lots more of yours!

 
At June 28, 2011 at 12:39 PM , Anonymous cam said...

i'm with you... stick to that goal. i have that goal and i only have one child.

 
At June 28, 2011 at 1:11 PM , Blogger Tamika said...

Oh - this sounds like my life....and now that school is out, I will have no option but to haul all 5 of my crew around for grocery shopping - my hubby is gone for 16days at a time - and we do need groceries before that 16 days is up......so, the 8,7,5 and twin 2yr olds will be shopping with me....

 
At June 28, 2011 at 2:27 PM , Blogger Ashley Sisk said...

Oh bless your heart - I have no idea what this is like but I can imagine.

 
At June 28, 2011 at 2:35 PM , Blogger Nikki said...

Can I just say you are my hero for taking a shopping trip with four children. I am a new Mom of ONE and I stress out at the thought of taking my son shopping with me. Most trips he is okay but the one's where he refuses to sit in his carseat are horrible. Holding a 5 month old, pushing a buggy, and trying to shop is not my idea of a good time.

 
At June 28, 2011 at 3:00 PM , Blogger Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

Your adventure had me laughing!!! I agree with your goal, though. It may be more peaceful. ;)

 
At June 28, 2011 at 4:19 PM , Blogger The Lymans said...

There is NOTHING I need badly enough if I have to take my three little kids with me. 24-hour Walmart was invented for moms like us!

 
At June 28, 2011 at 4:52 PM , Blogger Jenny Lynn said...

I don't like shopping with the kiddo's unless I have to. I love that some stores are open 24 hours a day.

 
At June 28, 2011 at 5:49 PM , Anonymous Kim of Mo'Betta said...

shopping with all 3 of mine makes me want to stick a fork in my eye. Or drink heavily. Preferably the later...and I open half my groceries before I hit the check out sometimes to appease Mr. Three!

 
At June 28, 2011 at 6:09 PM , Blogger Texas Type A Mom said...

I have a hard enough time just wrangling my one. She makes me question having any more some days. I can't even imagine shopping with 4 kids!

 
At June 28, 2011 at 7:47 PM , Blogger laughwithusblog said...

This sounds like all of my shopping trips except for the toy. I now have a strict no toys leave the house policy. It makes my life a little easier!

 
At June 28, 2011 at 8:34 PM , Blogger Liz said...

I think I would have started crying before that shopping trip was completed!

 
At June 28, 2011 at 8:37 PM , Blogger Kate Pantier @ Mommy Monologues said...

I despise grocery shopping with one & can't imagine having to do it with 3! You are one amazing woman!

 
At June 28, 2011 at 9:37 PM , Anonymous Natalia said...

Wow, after an adventure like that, you deserved 2 ice cream cones!

 
At June 28, 2011 at 10:53 PM , Blogger Charlotte said...

Your post = why I was so excited when my oldest was old enough to stay with her siblings when I went grocery shopping. May be the best day of my life.

 
At July 2, 2011 at 8:29 PM , Blogger Amy said...

Shopping with small children = herding cats. It simply feels impossible!
I have had my share of "good" shopping trips with all 3 kids ... but sometimes I must look like a complete lunatic with all my bribes goin' and kids hanging out of and off the sides of the cart and fighting over who is "front in line" (UGH!) ... I'm glad I'm not the only one with these kinds of experiences!!

 
At July 30, 2011 at 11:06 PM , Blogger K Lind said...

This post makes me feel better about my unfortunate happenings at the store! :-) I love the way that you write!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home