This Page

has been moved to new address

The Morning Routine

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
----------------------------------------------- */ body { background:#aba; margin:0; padding:20px 10px; text-align:center; font:x-small/1.5em "Trebuchet MS",Verdana,Arial,Sans-serif; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } /* Page Structure ----------------------------------------------- */ /* The images which help create rounded corners depend on the following widths and measurements. If you want to change these measurements, the images will also need to change. */ @media all { #content { width:740px; margin:0 auto; text-align:left; } #main { width:485px; float:left; background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:15px 0 0; padding:0 0 10px; color:#000; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } #main2 { float:left; width:100%; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 0 0; } #main3 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/rails_main.gif") repeat-y; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:240px; float:right; margin:15px 0 0; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; background:#fff; } #main2 { float:none; background:none; } #main3 { background:none; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Links ----------------------------------------------- */ a:link { color:#258; } a:visited { color:#666; } a:hover { color:#c63; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Blog Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 0; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #header div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #header { background:#456; } #header div { background:none; } } #blog-title { margin:0; padding:10px 30px 5px; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; } #blog-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#fff; } #description { margin:0; padding:5px 30px 10px; font-size:94%; line-height:1.5em; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 28px 0 43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#357; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px 0; } .post-title { margin:0; font-size:135%; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; color:#333; } a.title-link, .post-title strong { text-decoration:none; display:block; } a.title-link:hover { background-color:#ded; color:#000; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#fff; padding:10px 14px 1px 29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { background:#ded; margin:0; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px; border-bottom:1px solid #eee; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color:#666; text-align:right; } html>body p.post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ccc; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; color:#666; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:20px 0 15px 0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding:0 14px 2px 29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#333; } #comments-block { margin:0 15px 0 9px; } .comment-data { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; color:#666; } .comment-poster { font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#666; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#666; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #profile-container { background:#cdc url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 15px; padding:0 0 10px; color:#345; } #profile-container h2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 15px .2em; margin:0; border-width:0; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#234; } } @media handheld { #profile-container { background:#cdc; } #profile-container h2 { background:none; } } .profile-datablock { margin:0 15px .5em; border-top:1px dotted #aba; padding-top:8px; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #fff; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } #profile-container p { margin:0 15px .5em; } #profile-container .profile-textblock { clear:left; } #profile-container a { color:#258; } .profile-link a { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_profile.gif") no-repeat 0 .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } ul.profile-datablock { list-style-type:none; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .box { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color:#666; } .box2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 13px 8px; } } @media handheld { .box { background:#fff; } .box2 { background:none; } } .sidebar-title { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#333; } .box ul { margin:.5em 0 1.25em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; } .box ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding:0 0 3px 16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eee; line-height:1.4em; } .box p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; margin:0; padding:15px 0 0; } @media all { #footer div { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #footer div div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #footer div { background:#456; } #footer div div { background:none; } } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#fff;} /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding:0 15px 0; }

Monday, September 12, 2011

The Morning Routine

I think it's important to record family history.  I feel like my kids are changing so fast. I don't want to forget these times.  So, here's a little of our family's history from this past week.

September 7, 2011   
The Morning Routine   
(a condensed version)
 Starring: Husband (age 38), Me (age 35), 
Dani (age 7), Evie (age 5), Mase (age 3), and Dax (age 1)

We don't use alarms at our house.  My husband wakes up like clockwork. On this particular day (and many others) I have some additional wake-up help.
My husband usually takes off early, but today he lets me doze a few extra minutes!  He helpfully takes Evie, Mase, and Dax out of our room and feeds them breakfast.

Then I hear the dreaded words:
"I'm leaving now, which means you should probably get up and come out here. Really."

I linger out.  That's when I notice Dani, still sound asleep!

 "Out of bed sleepy head." No movement.

"You need to wake up now or you won't have time for breakfast." 

Dani gets up.  I pour her a huge bowl of cereal and convince Mase to give me a good morning hug. Everyone runs to give Dad a hug goodbye!  I then drag my crying toddler away from the garage door as he attempts to leave with my husband. 

Evie is lying on the couch in her swimsuit; her latest pj trend.  "I don't feel good. I'm so sick," says Evie.  (Feigned sickness is a common ailment for her lately.)

"All right monkey.  Lay on the couch.  I'm sure you'll be fine in time for [afternoon] kindergarten."

"I'm still hungry!" Dani chimes.

"You don't have time to eat another bowl of cereal.  Get ready.  If you have time, you can have more. "

I go to change Dax's diaper as he mightily attempts to flip and flop away.  When I return, I see Dani is still in her pajamas with her second bowl of cereal!  I confiscate the cereal and firmly tell her to get dressed. She is unmoving, except to take another bite of cereal!  I then physically remove the cereal.

"Get dressed," I growl in a low grover-like voice. (Lately I've been attempting to replace my snapping with a much sweeter, but meanish growl;  although, it doesn't seem to be as effective.)  Dani leisurely saunters into the living room where I've placed her clothes.  

I glance over.  Dani has turned on a cartoon and is just sitting there!  "You have school in ten minutes.  Get dressed--NOW."   I'm back to snapping.  She casually starts getting dressed.  No rush.

I then attempt to put in Barry, Dani's contact.  She wears one contact--(long story involving a lazy eye and many pairs of broken glasses).  She squawks, "You poked me!"

"Open your eye." After several attempts, Barry is in!

I glance into the kitchen.  Dax is crouching on the table, eating Dani's cereal with his hands.  I remove cereal-covered toddler and wash him off.

"Go brush your teeth and your hair, quickly." I say to Dani, "We're going to be late."

She slowly slides her feet to the bathroom and comes out only seconds later.  Her hair in not brushed and the water hasn't even been turned on!

"Dani," I growl.

I then race to the bathroom and start brushing her hair.

Meanwhile, Dax joins us in the bathroom and starts dropping random items into the toilet--a long cherished practice.

"Everyone in the car!"  Dani heads to the garage.  I spot Mase.  He's running around half-naked.

"Where's your underwear Buddy?"
"I no find underwear."

 I snatch up some underwear and throw it his direction.  Mase puts it on backwards.  He's still pantless, but I tell him to get in the car.   I load up Dax.

"Evie, get in the car."
"I'm too sick."
"Go."  She goes.

But Mase is now missing!  I know where to look.  He's hiding in my bathtub again, giggling.  "I twicked you."

He still won't get out!  I carry my not-so-light Mase and, as gently as possible, wrestle him into his car seat.

Dani even made it to school on time.

"Bye Mom.  Love you.  You're the greatest mom in the whole world!"

I'm grateful for my crazy mornings.

Grumpy Grateful Mom Goal of the School Year: Working towards some peaceful mornings too.

my spirited second grader

Labels: , ,

56 Comments:

At September 12, 2011 at 8:14 AM , Blogger Rochelle@AFamilyofLooneys said...

Mornings are so crazy. It will get better right?

 
At September 12, 2011 at 8:17 AM , Blogger mrsmarkdave said...

Oh my. Sounds like my brother's house - every morning. (or everytime they try to go somewhere for that matter. They also have 4. Ages 10, 9, 6 and 3.)
And what a coincidence - I also only wear one contact. But, I've only been able to since 3 years ago. Had trouble finding a doctor that would allow it. Even this one didn't want to. I had to beg.

 
At September 12, 2011 at 8:30 AM , Blogger Brandi said...

Someday it will get better?! I has to. :)

 
At September 12, 2011 at 8:42 AM , Blogger Jennifer said...

I'm not looking forward to mornings next year when my oldest starts kindergarten...especially after reading your post! Ha Ha!

 
At September 12, 2011 at 8:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was exhausted just reading about your morning! However, there were some moments that sounded just like at my house, but with 1 child....anymore than that and I fear no one would ever be dressed and ready for school. lol

 
At September 12, 2011 at 8:57 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I love this post!! I was just thinking about our morning routine too and all the crazy things I find myslef saying!! I love that Maze hid in the tub and "twicked" you. Sometimes it's just hard not to laugh, thank goodness!! I also love that you named the contact lense, Lizzy had to wear hearing aids and we always refer to them as the ear jewlery!! I love that you like to have fun with your kids too!! Crazy yes, but these are the days I will miss when I'm in the nursing home sipping my coffee!!! Lol!

 
At September 12, 2011 at 9:14 AM , Blogger Barbara said...

Aren't mornings fun? I'm always the one that has to wake up the husband to get out of bed and help me with the chaos before unleashing the hungry cranky toddler on him!

 
At September 12, 2011 at 9:34 AM , Blogger Heather said...

It WILL get better! I promise! I remember getting the kids off to school and heading off to work breathing a sigh of relief knowing that the hardest part of my day was over. I remember everyday fights over who got to sit in the front seat. One child hiding another's shoe, so he could get to the front seat first that day. I don't know how I ever made it through those mornings. They are now 17,14 and 11. They don't even need me to get them up anymore. They get themselves up and off to school. While I don't miss the chaos, I do hate that they are growing up way to fast!

 
At September 12, 2011 at 9:40 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Y'know, my kids wake up between 6 and 6:30 every morning (I know, EVIL!) but we still have that crazy chaos right before they leave for school. SHHESH!

 
At September 12, 2011 at 9:53 AM , Anonymous momof12 said...

My kindergartner hates mornings too! (She gets that from her mom.) She has been known (often) to sleep in til noon. (School starts at 12:30.) But she never wants to eat before she goes and 4:00 is such a long ways away. Sometimes I think you and I are living at the same house...
Sandy

 
At September 12, 2011 at 10:10 AM , Blogger Jaclyn M said...

Dani is so much like Kait... She is always super hungry in the morning, but never wants to wake up so that she has enough time to eat. She has to stock up at breakfast since she refuses to eat her lunch even though I pack one everyday. We wouldn't want her to miss extra play time lol

 
At September 12, 2011 at 10:20 AM , Blogger Claire said...

I give you the awesome Mom award!! I know how hard it is to get 2 out the door in the morning, we have the same struggles, not eating breakfast, brushing hair and teeth, etc. etc. etc. Thankfully one of my biggest problems is that my daughter is so anxious to go to school that she has her jacket on 1/2 hour early! Now if I could only get her to put everything else on!

 
At September 12, 2011 at 10:35 AM , Blogger Lori said...

why is it that they pick the worst times to decide to move at half speed and ignore simple directions?

 
At September 12, 2011 at 10:37 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so glad we do the bus! lol! There is no way I could get all 6 of us ready to get in the van and drive to school on time. Working on two for school is pushing it!

 
At September 12, 2011 at 10:51 AM , Blogger Lourie said...

Ugh! Mornings like that make me want to crawl back into bed and never come back out. Props to you for keeping it going.

 
At September 12, 2011 at 10:55 AM , Blogger Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Whew! I have to do everything the night before or we'd never get out the door in time.

 
At September 12, 2011 at 11:04 AM , Blogger Liz Mays said...

Then it's over in the blink of an eye and it starts again the next day!

 
At September 12, 2011 at 11:17 AM , Anonymous shell said...

Is it wrong that I hate mornings?

Even though my kids don't sleep in, it's still so much different to have everyone dressed and out the door on time.

 
At September 12, 2011 at 11:18 AM , Blogger Vivian said...

Godness she is DARLING!!! I don't even want to get into my morning routine:I try to leave as much done and ready the night before for nothing, it's still chaos, it still takes us forever and the baby still poops the minute we are about to leave....making us ALWAYS late ;)

 
At September 12, 2011 at 11:20 AM , Blogger Kazzy said...

I remember those days with random affection! Sometimes I miss having my little ones around, but then I read a post like this and am grateful they get themselves up and out now!

 
At September 12, 2011 at 11:49 AM , Blogger Mikailah Autumn said...

Oh my goodness! You are so patient, in my opinion. That would drive me crazy!! :)

 
At September 12, 2011 at 11:50 AM , Anonymous alice alfred said...

This was great!!

 
At September 12, 2011 at 11:57 AM , Blogger Victoria said...

Moments like these I'm thankful I still have an "only" child. How crazy your mornings are! I couldn't do it. I don't even speak English first thing in the morning and I can't imagine having to growl in Gibberish. I hope you find your peaceful mornings, and I'm sure you will as your kids get bigger.

 
At September 12, 2011 at 12:06 PM , Blogger Help! Mama Remote... said...

What a morning. Usually my youngest is.still sleep if we creep through the house trying to get my son off to school. LOL I'm grateful too. Some mornings more than others. :-)

 
At September 12, 2011 at 12:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute morning "routine"!

 
At September 12, 2011 at 1:10 PM , Blogger Debbie said...

oh meee gooozers! Sounds similar to the morning I had. I do the clenched words through teeth - but only to keep me from screaming. The kids know that is when they have pushed me as far as I will go.lol

 
At September 12, 2011 at 1:12 PM , Blogger LOVE MELISSA:) said...

Sounds like my morning. It is so hard with two to get them, out and about. very cute routine! I have a small giveaway on my blog today if you want to enter:) have a great day

 
At September 12, 2011 at 1:35 PM , Blogger Emmy said...

Mornings and homework are a few of the things that make summer something to be longed for :). Great post- glad I am not the only one who snaps

 
At September 12, 2011 at 3:04 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

My seven-year-old is SO defiant. My mornings with him roll just like yours do with Dani.
I too am experimenting with different voices, trying to find one that my 7YO might actually hear. Right now I'm test-driving "sinister whisper." It kinda works. Give it a try sometime :)

 
At September 12, 2011 at 3:06 PM , Blogger Jessica said...

Wow. I can't believe you get out of bed every morning. I'm thoroughly impressed.

 
At September 12, 2011 at 3:35 PM , Anonymous Cam - Bibs and Baubles said...

"you're the best mom in the whole world. "totally made it worth it, right? :)

 
At September 12, 2011 at 4:11 PM , Blogger Lindsey said...

This is so cute! Your kids are adorable:)

 
At September 12, 2011 at 4:24 PM , Blogger Jess said...

Holy wow!! And to think that I thought I was busy.... whew!

 
At September 12, 2011 at 4:47 PM , Blogger Hopes@Staying Afloat! said...

UGH! This sounds like my mornings! Big T almost missed the bus today because he wasn't moving.

I hope you poured yourself a HUGE cup of coffee when you got home and were able to enjoy it!

 
At September 12, 2011 at 5:29 PM , Blogger Connie said...

That brings back some "fond" memories!

 
At September 12, 2011 at 5:46 PM , Blogger LeAnn said...

LOL! The beginning of a perfect day. Loved the memories that came flying back.
Blessings to you and keep on recording and enjoying the moments!

 
At September 12, 2011 at 6:28 PM , Blogger Kiddothings said...

Goodness! I feel exhausted just by reading what you went through. I don't think I can survive this everyday. :)

 
At September 12, 2011 at 6:47 PM , Anonymous Ruth said...

I'm sure all these mornings are horrible in the moment, but thanks for sharing them! I LOVE reading about your life. That's real stuff right there!

 
At September 12, 2011 at 7:40 PM , Blogger LA Botchar said...

Yeah, 7 must be that golden age of laziness. my son is the same..."go get dressed!!! NOW!" I'll return in 5 minutes to find him sitting in his underwear, one sock on, finishing a Lego. "you're gonna miss the bus!!!"" "well, you can just drive me mom."
Hmmm? *lightbulb*
he was late for school that day.
but I rather enjoyed our walk.
he hasn't missed the bus since :)

 
At September 12, 2011 at 8:02 PM , Blogger Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies said...

HA! I need to name my contacts too. That would make them so much more fun. Seriously, between the soapy trampoline and Barry-the-Contact, I am learning so much from your children. :)

 
At September 12, 2011 at 9:30 PM , Blogger Texas Type A Mom said...

Dani sounds like she's going through a growth spurt with all the cereal she eats. Or does she just really like cereal?

 
At September 12, 2011 at 11:09 PM , Blogger stephanie said...

mornings are crazy here too! we left the house the other day and I realized I wasn't wearing a bra {horrifying trust me!}, my oldest had one pigtail and I had spit up down the back of my shirt. we turned around and came home :)

 
At September 13, 2011 at 12:36 AM , Blogger Kimberly said...

That sounds extremely close to my mornings!

 
At September 13, 2011 at 10:52 AM , Blogger Irish Italian Blessings said...

Ok your daughter is freaking ADORABLE!!! Oh my gosh, I bet she gets away with all kinds of stuff, lol. It's funny reading this because yesterday I thought my morning was crazy and hectic but...now I know...it was a piece of cake compared to what lies ahead. yay?

 
At September 13, 2011 at 11:02 AM , Blogger AiringMyLaundry said...

Cute pictures!

I hate mornings. :/

 
At September 13, 2011 at 11:20 AM , Blogger Melanie said...

Oh my...our mornings are near mirror images of each other. Right down to the gentle prodding of our husbands to get out of bed (although mine usually adds..."you know they will destroy the house if you dont get up now!"

Oh...and we don't have to brush hair. Boys are great for that reason!

 
At September 13, 2011 at 12:14 PM , Blogger Renee said...

Oh my! This sounds so much like my mornings it's a little scary.

I have a 10 year old who is an expert procrastinator. I find her back in bed under the covers way too many times to count.

Sometimes, the "snapping" is the only thing that works!

 
At September 13, 2011 at 1:02 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

We have issues with hiding when we don't want to go place either. At those times I am so happy we have a small house.

 
At September 13, 2011 at 1:32 PM , Blogger Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

I can relate! Mornings are crazy here too!

 
At September 13, 2011 at 4:08 PM , Blogger Natalie said...

Wow now that's an eventful morning...I've got nothing on you momma! I wouldn't have been able to get out the door with all that LOL! :)

 
At September 13, 2011 at 7:38 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

This made me laugh!! Especially your little one hiding in the tub!

 
At September 13, 2011 at 8:04 PM , Blogger Sandra Tyler said...

Oh, this was SO my morning today -- and I'd made a new school year's resolution to to even "growl" as usually I wind up screaming, espcially when they get wound up as tops and can't accomplish even getting dressed. We go to school cranky. SO today I decided next time, I will LET them take their time and find out what it feels like to get those late pink slips!

 
At September 14, 2011 at 2:29 PM , Blogger Jen said...

Hey, are you sure you weren't at our house this morning? and every morning for that matter ;) I can SO relate to this!!

 
At September 15, 2011 at 9:48 AM , Blogger Alia said...

Haha that is my every morning...one of the moms at school laughs at...I mean with me that I am running in almost every morning saying I swear someday well be early! I am soooo not a morning person! And my girls are PUTZY movers! The whole I'm not gonna snap, ok I'm snapping is a new resolution almost weekly!

 
At September 15, 2011 at 9:14 PM , Anonymous Me said...

She's so cute, though! These kids and their cuteness. . .we really don't stand a chance!

 
At September 22, 2011 at 11:27 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Squatting on our kitchen table eating anything he can find is my toddlers favorite place to be lately, so that made me laugh. Love the happy ending ;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home