This Page

has been moved to new address

Top Ten Smells of Motherhood

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
----------------------------------------------- */ body { background:#aba; margin:0; padding:20px 10px; text-align:center; font:x-small/1.5em "Trebuchet MS",Verdana,Arial,Sans-serif; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } /* Page Structure ----------------------------------------------- */ /* The images which help create rounded corners depend on the following widths and measurements. If you want to change these measurements, the images will also need to change. */ @media all { #content { width:740px; margin:0 auto; text-align:left; } #main { width:485px; float:left; background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:15px 0 0; padding:0 0 10px; color:#000; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } #main2 { float:left; width:100%; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 0 0; } #main3 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/rails_main.gif") repeat-y; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:240px; float:right; margin:15px 0 0; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; background:#fff; } #main2 { float:none; background:none; } #main3 { background:none; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Links ----------------------------------------------- */ a:link { color:#258; } a:visited { color:#666; } a:hover { color:#c63; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Blog Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 0; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #header div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #header { background:#456; } #header div { background:none; } } #blog-title { margin:0; padding:10px 30px 5px; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; } #blog-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#fff; } #description { margin:0; padding:5px 30px 10px; font-size:94%; line-height:1.5em; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 28px 0 43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#357; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px 0; } .post-title { margin:0; font-size:135%; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; color:#333; } a.title-link, .post-title strong { text-decoration:none; display:block; } a.title-link:hover { background-color:#ded; color:#000; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#fff; padding:10px 14px 1px 29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { background:#ded; margin:0; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px; border-bottom:1px solid #eee; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color:#666; text-align:right; } html>body p.post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ccc; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; color:#666; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:20px 0 15px 0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding:0 14px 2px 29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#333; } #comments-block { margin:0 15px 0 9px; } .comment-data { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; color:#666; } .comment-poster { font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#666; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#666; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #profile-container { background:#cdc url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 15px; padding:0 0 10px; color:#345; } #profile-container h2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 15px .2em; margin:0; border-width:0; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#234; } } @media handheld { #profile-container { background:#cdc; } #profile-container h2 { background:none; } } .profile-datablock { margin:0 15px .5em; border-top:1px dotted #aba; padding-top:8px; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #fff; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } #profile-container p { margin:0 15px .5em; } #profile-container .profile-textblock { clear:left; } #profile-container a { color:#258; } .profile-link a { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_profile.gif") no-repeat 0 .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } ul.profile-datablock { list-style-type:none; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .box { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color:#666; } .box2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 13px 8px; } } @media handheld { .box { background:#fff; } .box2 { background:none; } } .sidebar-title { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#333; } .box ul { margin:.5em 0 1.25em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; } .box ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding:0 0 3px 16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eee; line-height:1.4em; } .box p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; margin:0; padding:15px 0 0; } @media all { #footer div { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #footer div div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #footer div { background:#456; } #footer div div { background:none; } } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#fff;} /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding:0 15px 0; }

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Top Ten Smells of Motherhood



Since having children, my house is filled with smells.  Wonderful smells like cinnamon rolls and strawberry shortcake dolls.  Then, there are the not so good smells!   I do what I can to keep it tolerable, but the odds are stacked against me.  So, here are...

The Top Ten Smells of Motherhood 
(for me)

#10 Our toilets! My toilets tend to overflow often, so I teach my children NOT to flush.  We're getting new toilets soon, hopefully. 

#9 No, I haven't showered yet today! 

#8 There was that banana peel one of my kids left in the baby's room.  This would also explain my last fruit fly invasion.  Luckily, the fruit flies were odorless.

#7 As if the banana peel wasn't enough, we discovered a hidden bag of rotten potatoes.  They were overpowering and very elusive!  I bought the potatoes, but I suspect one of my kids knocked them into the corner of the pantry.  I will never misplace potatoes again! 

#6 Laundry.  Piles and piles, and piles of it can add up!

#5 Gas, from the stove that is!  My gas burner was fiddled with and turned on by an unknown culprit recently.  There was no flame so my kitchen just started filling up with gas. Yikes!  Are there locks for those?

#4 Dinner. I've been attempting to cook more since becoming a mom.  You would think this would be a positive.

#3 My baby (now one-year-old).  Still so sweet smelling, but his terrible reflux left him with a continually covered in sour milk. Gratefully, for him, this stage is mostly over. 

#2 Carsickness.  Much worse than sour milk.  My girls are notorious!  I made a huge slip-up on the way to my daughter's dance performance this spring.  I forget the spit-up bucket!   By the time we got there, Dani's white dance top had a lovely orange tint and and an extra lovely smell to go with it. 

And the #1 smell: My three-year-old son!  Mase has become the potty accident KING, but is a jester when is comes to telling me the location of his accident. 

I'm thankful for all of my smells or at least the kids that come with them, but visitors may want to KEEP AWAY until this last smell is over.

Grumpy Grateful Mom Goal of the Week:  I plan to steam-vac my carpets.

Labels: , ,

21 Comments:

At June 15, 2011 at 9:12 AM , Anonymous Cori Beach said...

OH my! Love all your posts :) those are some nasty smells...Bella is the #1 culprit for nasty smells in our house..well she may run a close 2nd to my husband! shoooo weee!

 
At June 15, 2011 at 9:30 AM , Anonymous Amanda @ Gratefully Growing in Grace said...

So funny! There are some nasty smells that accompany young children. Weirdly enough, I LOVE the smell of my children's breath... even the toddler. What has motherhood done to me?

 
At June 15, 2011 at 9:51 AM , Blogger Jessica said...

Oh my goodness mama. You need to get wood floors instead of carpet. I have some funky smells in my house too but most of them come from my dog.

 
At June 15, 2011 at 9:53 AM , Blogger Mom of 12 said...

I have each and every one of those smells at my house right now! Except for the potatoes, but I've had those before so I know what you are talking about. My oldest son has a friend without a sense of smell...do you think that would be better? I think I'd prefer to experience all of them, even the bad ones.
Sandy

 
At June 15, 2011 at 10:04 AM , Blogger Rochelle@AFamilyofLooneys said...

We have vast smells in our house also. Somedays it smells nice, most days not so great :-)

 
At June 15, 2011 at 10:12 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I cracked up when I read the title of your piece! So funny!!!! It is amazing what they can manage to hide isn't it! As always you make me laugh and at the same time appreciate the things that I know one day I will miss in an odd way!!! Motherhood is messy!!! But, really worth it, thanks for reminding me!!

 
At June 15, 2011 at 10:43 AM , Anonymous cam said...

too funny. there is a lot going on at your house! i'm trying to cook more too since becoming a mama... it's not going to well! :)

 
At June 15, 2011 at 12:08 PM , Blogger Liz said...

Laundry is on my list for today! It's been over a week, and my piles are huge!

 
At June 15, 2011 at 12:10 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Rotten milk in a hidden sippy cup. That is nasty!
And there are locks you can get of a stove. My sister-in-law has them on her's. Check with Lowe's or maybe a kitchen store.

 
At June 15, 2011 at 3:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so need a good laugh for the day. This post was adorable. I too know what the smells of childhood bring. Our home had many smelly moments. Now it is the dog who has that fresh grass smell on his sweaty body. Thanks for the smiles today and for your sweet comment on my blog. I love following your posts; it brings back memories.
Google will not let me comment; so I am using an open Id. You can change in your comment settings to Pop up window and it will solve the problem.
Living Waters by LeAnn

 
At June 15, 2011 at 3:51 PM , Blogger Jen said...

Haha! That cracked me up...and yes, rotten potatoes stink!!

 
At June 15, 2011 at 7:27 PM , Blogger Sandra Tyler said...

LOL, LOL, great post. Too funny. Our house isn't quite as smelly as when the boys were at that toddler and baby stage, when food would rot in corners, or under the table, and forget toilets...now the smells are different. One was a dead mouse rotting behind the refrigerator. And the newest smell which smelled just like a dead mouse again, and took me months to figure out, is the smell of our new linoleum floor after I wash it -- wet linoleum smells like a big rotting dead mouse.

 
At June 15, 2011 at 7:43 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

You can always keep me smiling. I love it. But what is the picture??

 
At June 15, 2011 at 7:57 PM , Blogger The Suburban Princess said...

My house always smells - two kids in diapers and one who still can't aim at the toilet with any sort of precision will do that real fast.

 
At June 15, 2011 at 7:58 PM , Blogger Karen Greenberg said...

OMG, that gas stove thing scares me. I love that other people can do that. It would scare the daylights out of me.

 
At June 15, 2011 at 8:24 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

We had nasty potatoes once....they grew roots that were over two feet long!! Not an exaggeration! They were the product of hubby's forgetfulness....In my defense, they were under the basement stairs where I never go. It is the man's job to take care of the dark spooky areas of a house-ha ha!

 
At June 15, 2011 at 11:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great list! I know I like the smell of my nieces when they put on freshly washed clothes!

 
At June 16, 2011 at 8:39 AM , Blogger Jenny Lynn said...

I can relate...I have not showered yet today. I am sitting here in my pj's.

As far as stink goes... there is nothing more stinky than teens going through puberty. My son's room smelled so bad one time. I thought I would never get rid of it.

 
At June 16, 2011 at 11:54 AM , Blogger Type B Mom Stays at Home said...

Yesterday, I found a rotten baby yukon gold potato under the couch. We're there. I get it.

 
At June 16, 2011 at 5:40 PM , Blogger We 2 Bees said...

Oh man! #7 - done that it is AWFUL!, #2 the worst and #1 - one of the many reasons I hate potty training!
Great list!
Enjoy those clean carpets!

 
At June 17, 2011 at 3:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it. A smell on my list would have been the bottle of milk that SOMEONE hid under my car seat! YUCK!! Or SOMEONE sneaking hot dogs and grape jelly out of the frig and hiding them in the couch. Who thinks of that?? Oh yeah, a hungry little 5 year old. Yep, I actually found a little bowl of grape jelly with hot dogs in it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home