This Page

has been moved to new address

A Message for My Daughters: Fitting In

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
----------------------------------------------- */ body { background:#aba; margin:0; padding:20px 10px; text-align:center; font:x-small/1.5em "Trebuchet MS",Verdana,Arial,Sans-serif; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } /* Page Structure ----------------------------------------------- */ /* The images which help create rounded corners depend on the following widths and measurements. If you want to change these measurements, the images will also need to change. */ @media all { #content { width:740px; margin:0 auto; text-align:left; } #main { width:485px; float:left; background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:15px 0 0; padding:0 0 10px; color:#000; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } #main2 { float:left; width:100%; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 0 0; } #main3 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/rails_main.gif") repeat-y; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:240px; float:right; margin:15px 0 0; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; background:#fff; } #main2 { float:none; background:none; } #main3 { background:none; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Links ----------------------------------------------- */ a:link { color:#258; } a:visited { color:#666; } a:hover { color:#c63; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Blog Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 0; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #header div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #header { background:#456; } #header div { background:none; } } #blog-title { margin:0; padding:10px 30px 5px; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; } #blog-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#fff; } #description { margin:0; padding:5px 30px 10px; font-size:94%; line-height:1.5em; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 28px 0 43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#357; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px 0; } .post-title { margin:0; font-size:135%; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; color:#333; } a.title-link, .post-title strong { text-decoration:none; display:block; } a.title-link:hover { background-color:#ded; color:#000; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#fff; padding:10px 14px 1px 29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { background:#ded; margin:0; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px; border-bottom:1px solid #eee; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color:#666; text-align:right; } html>body p.post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ccc; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; color:#666; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:20px 0 15px 0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding:0 14px 2px 29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#333; } #comments-block { margin:0 15px 0 9px; } .comment-data { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; color:#666; } .comment-poster { font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#666; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#666; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #profile-container { background:#cdc url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 15px; padding:0 0 10px; color:#345; } #profile-container h2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 15px .2em; margin:0; border-width:0; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#234; } } @media handheld { #profile-container { background:#cdc; } #profile-container h2 { background:none; } } .profile-datablock { margin:0 15px .5em; border-top:1px dotted #aba; padding-top:8px; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #fff; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } #profile-container p { margin:0 15px .5em; } #profile-container .profile-textblock { clear:left; } #profile-container a { color:#258; } .profile-link a { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_profile.gif") no-repeat 0 .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } ul.profile-datablock { list-style-type:none; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .box { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color:#666; } .box2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 13px 8px; } } @media handheld { .box { background:#fff; } .box2 { background:none; } } .sidebar-title { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#333; } .box ul { margin:.5em 0 1.25em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; } .box ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding:0 0 3px 16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eee; line-height:1.4em; } .box p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; margin:0; padding:15px 0 0; } @media all { #footer div { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #footer div div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #footer div { background:#456; } #footer div div { background:none; } } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#fff;} /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding:0 15px 0; }

Thursday, June 23, 2011

A Message for My Daughters: Fitting In

My seven-year-old daughter, Dani, wanted to talk to me after school yesterday.  Dani told me she asked some girls if she could play with them at recess and they wouldn't let her.  They asked her to do a gymnastics trick to get into their group, which she did, and they still didn't want to play with her.

While Dani can be quite a willful child herself, this story just made me sad.  She wanted me to fix it and I couldn't.  I know she'll be OK.  She even made another friend yesterday.

But, I also know it will not get easier in the years to come.  There will be more groups.  More popularity contests.  More peer pressure to be a certain way.

What I Want my Daughters to Know:

Be confident.  You are beautiful!  You're amazing!  I love you and will always love you, unconditionally.  Never give away who you are to be accepted.  It's better not to fit in.

Other girls won't always be nice.  Don't waste your days wondering why.  Don't become one of them.  Be kind to others.  Be considerate and helpful.  Pray to find good friends.  Seek out the girl who is sitting alone at the lunch table.  Sit by her.  Include her.

Be nice to each other.  A sister is a gift.  I so wanted a sister when I was your age.  But now I've been blessed with you.  Cherish each other.  Become best friends.  Tell secrets.  Laugh and cry together.  Don't get offended. 

Always remember you are of infinite worth.   

Your Mom

Now quit fighting, clean your room, and stay away from boys.

Grateful Mom Goal:  Teach my girls confidence and kindness.

Labels: , ,

41 Comments:

At June 23, 2011 at 7:56 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Amazing! She has a great Mama!

 
At June 23, 2011 at 7:58 AM , Blogger Quirky Homemaker said...

I love this! It's beautifully written. It's so important for kids to not lose themselves just to fit in. It does hurt seeing our kids not "accepted" by other kids though, doesn't it?

 
At June 23, 2011 at 8:05 AM , Blogger Melissa said...

My daughter is only 4 and will start pre-K this August, but I've seen several times on playgrounds how upset she can get when she asks someone to be her friend and they ignore her or say no. It breaks my heart. I want to teach her these very same things!

 
At June 23, 2011 at 8:16 AM , Blogger m&msmommy said...

Normally your posts make me laugh when I need it. Today, I needed this post! My son (5 years old) started summer camp on Monday and it has been 3 days of kids (he's one of the youngest) being just plain mean to him and it breaks my heart. (I litereally cried the first day when he told me). I know they are just being older boys, and that's "just how kids are" (although I disagree! Who raises these children!??!?!?!) He asked them if he could play hide and seek with them and they said, "No, you're not a school ager!" UGH, I can barely type that without crying! :( But, being the amazing little boy he is, when we asked him if he wanted to go back to his preschool class (where all of his "old friends' are-it's all at the same location) he said, "No!" I'm sure sometimes he is the mean one (no child is perfect), but when it's your child being treated meanly, it's SO hard! Thankfully he is making new friends. Why does there always have to be mean ones???? And like you said, its' only going to get worst as they get older! I'm not sure I'm cut out for all of this! ;)

*Sorry for the super long comment! :)*

 
At June 23, 2011 at 8:32 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you daughter had to deal with those other girls. It seriously sucks and it is not the way Life should be, especially for children (in my opinion).

This was a fantastic post. I hope you're able to teach your daughters these things and they not only listen to your wisdom but actually put it into action :)

 
At June 23, 2011 at 8:49 AM , Blogger Rochelle@AFamilyofLooneys said...

I hurt for her. Girls can be so mean at times. You are a wonderful Mom. She is so blessed to have you.

 
At June 23, 2011 at 9:00 AM , Anonymous Amanda @ Gratefully Growing in Grace said...

This made me cry a little. I so dread when my children will learn the cruelty of the world and exit their safe, innocent bubbles. What you are teaching your daughters is beautiful and oh, so right. Mean girls are everywhere from preschool to the nursing home and all we can do is learn how to live with them, showing God's grace.

 
At June 23, 2011 at 9:19 AM , Blogger Jaclyn M said...

You are such an amazing mom. Your girls are lucky to have you!! In fact I think I'm pretty lucky to know you. It seems you continue to teach me things each and every day through your posts... mostly it's not to get so upset, but this one is really hard for me. With 3 girls it can be a challenge. Isn't it so sad that this starts in elementary school :(

 
At June 23, 2011 at 9:24 AM , Blogger We 2 Bees said...

That was so wonderfully written! I can't believe how early it starts and why do girls have to be so mean. I've had this same conversation with my 9 year old. And it just makes me sad. We try to teach our girls to be kind, include everyone and be the best they can be and then other children come and mess that up. So sad! It's awesome that she has such an amazing mom and you are doing everything you can to comfort her through this time!

 
At June 23, 2011 at 9:24 AM , Blogger Jessica said...

It makes me so sad that kids have to go through things like this at such a young age.

 
At June 23, 2011 at 9:29 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Totally going to blame this on the post-pregnancy hormones, that reading that brought tears to my eyes. It's not easy being a girl. I think I'll steal your words of wisdom to your daughter and share them with mine. Thanks for sharing your wishes for your girls!

 
At June 23, 2011 at 9:39 AM , Blogger Abbie said...

Well said!

Abbie

 
At June 23, 2011 at 9:42 AM , Blogger LBB said...

Its so hard :( I want my girls to never have to deal with all that. But it will happen, has happend & I too hope I've helped them build enough confidence to not let it get to them :D

 
At June 23, 2011 at 10:09 AM , Blogger Help! Mama Remote... said...

How mean of them. I tell my daughter all the time...the fit in group is not the group to be in. All followers and no leaders. You're doing the ght thing to instill those values in her. As she matures she'll be glad they didn't want to be her friend.

 
At June 23, 2011 at 10:20 AM , Blogger Mom of 12 said...

I love this post! Every girl needs to hear that while they are growing up and often. I am always giving the "inclusion" lecture around here. I hope my kids are always nice to everyone.
Sandy

 
At June 23, 2011 at 10:50 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

You made me cry, I have daughters too and that makes me sad!!
Mean girls SUCK!! Move on Dani and start your own group with girls that accept everyone! Amen sister ;)

 
At June 23, 2011 at 11:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You made me tear up! Girls can be vicious! She is so lucky to have such a fantastic mommy. We could put an end to bullying if all parents were like you. Just need to teach our children love and self esteem!

 
At June 23, 2011 at 11:26 AM , Blogger Mimi said...

Wel said! My children are all in their 20s now but it was tough and I can't begin to imagine how hard it is these days. I have a niece who went to a small Episcopal school and went through a real rough time when some mean girls she thought were her friends turned on her.
You are a great Mom and having a sister really does help. It's wonderful that she talks to you about this - having a great supportive family will make a big difference!

 
At June 23, 2011 at 12:26 PM , Blogger Sandra said...

Great post! Unfortunately, with girls it never gets easier. They are so mean! You handled it beautifully. This is my favourite line to my daughter: it's not your issue, it's THEIRS. Not sure if that's good or bad, but it makes me sounds like I know what I'm doing.

 
At June 23, 2011 at 1:11 PM , Blogger Karen Greenberg said...

I love your advice, and I really think this issue is one of the hardest I've head to deal with as a mom. I want to fix it for my girls every time they come home and say they've been left out. Like you say, though, it is better to be left out than to give up who you are to please someone else. I can't FORCE the other girls to play with mine. I just hope one day they will find their own group to belong to. Until then, I hope they know, like you said, that I love them just the way they are!

 
At June 23, 2011 at 1:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That nearly brought me to tears! Girls can be mean! I think it is worse now than when I was younger. What beautiful words for your daughter. I hope that she will always remember those words and listen to her mom's advise. I chuckle as I type that because I have a teen daughter who thinks I am the enemy at least once a day...oh how I remember those days with my mom.

 
At June 23, 2011 at 2:52 PM , Blogger Vivian said...

LOVE THIS! You are truly an inspired MOM!

 
At June 23, 2011 at 4:34 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

What a gorgeous post!! You are such a great mom! I hate that the mean girl thing starts so early. Luckily she has you to help guide her! Thanks again for a great post, and thanks to the other ladies for such great comments!

 
At June 23, 2011 at 6:59 PM , Blogger Sandra Tyler said...

I was dumbfounded this year to see how early peer pressure sets in, with y son who is only in first grade. I would wind up buying him things like bay blades and Pokemon cards because he'd come home in tears (I have a post about that somehwere...) because he was left out, the only one with nothing to "trade" with his friends at recess. WHere will it go from here?

 
At June 23, 2011 at 8:42 PM , Blogger Jenny Lynn said...

Girls can be so mean to each other. Not only have a seen it happen with my girls. But since I work at a school, I have seen it happen. Wish I could say that it would get better with age. But, beware of Jr.High and High school with all those hormones raging it seems to be the time when the claws come out and stay out.

 
At June 23, 2011 at 9:04 PM , Anonymous Making It Work Mom said...

It is hard being a girl! I have an 11 year old and a 5 year old daughter and I hate what they have to go through.

Luckily my oldest has been able to negotiate the tween years pretty well so far. She seems to have avoided being too cliquey, but I know things can change in an instant.

Keep on teaching your daughter all those positive things, Momma!

 
At June 23, 2011 at 9:26 PM , Blogger Radel said...

I loved your letter to your daughter. May I have permission to use it in some kind of wall art? I would love my daughters, three of them with another on the way, to be able to read this daily. Very beautiful.

 
At June 23, 2011 at 11:42 PM , Blogger Crystal Escobar said...

Aw, that was so beautifully said. Loved it! Makes me sad that this is the way life is and that my daughter will soon be entering into that world of popularity contests and groups. I hate that, but I sure did love what you had to say about it :)

 
At June 24, 2011 at 5:25 AM , Blogger Rachel @ Finding Joy said...

Great letter to your daughter. I really despise bullying and I'm sorry that your daughter is having to deal with that already. Your advice to her is excellent.

 
At June 24, 2011 at 7:09 AM , Blogger Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

Thank you for the kind comments everyone! Radel, you are welcome to use it for your daughters. I read this to my girls yesterday morning. Dani seemed to listen...a little. Evie's response was, "OK Mom, can I go have breakfast now." :)

 
At June 24, 2011 at 3:29 PM , Blogger Irish Italian Blessings said...

You are such a wondeful mama, that is perfect advice! Your kids are so lucky to have you. I wish I had gotten some advice like that when I was a little girl : )

 
At June 24, 2011 at 4:39 PM , Blogger Kimberly said...

Hi, new here! I'm so sad that our kids have to go through this. My son was dealing with this same nonsense a few weeks ago too. It breaks my heart as a mom that I can't step in and make everything right in their world again.

 
At June 24, 2011 at 9:37 PM , Blogger Vanessa said...

Such a sweet message, I hope my girls will learn these lesson we try to teach them...

 
At June 24, 2011 at 11:20 PM , Blogger Charlotte said...

Good luck. It breaks my heart when my children go through these things. I've always felt I'd rather my kids be the picked on/excluded ones instead of the picking on/excluding ones.

 
At June 24, 2011 at 11:29 PM , Blogger Life by Cynthia said...

Such a beautiful lesson you are teaching your daughters. I love this post. Thank you for sharing.

 
At June 25, 2011 at 12:52 AM , Anonymous Stacia said...

There are "mean girls" no matter what age we are. I hate that your daughter is learning that already, and I dread the day it's my daughter's turn. I can steal your script, right?? =>

 
At June 25, 2011 at 9:37 AM , Blogger NonDomesticMama said...

Ugh, that is so heartbreaking. I know in the end your girls will be the ones with the real lasting friendships. The other girls will be constantly trading up for the next coolest kid. Still doesn't really ease the pain of right now. :(

 
At June 26, 2011 at 11:52 AM , Blogger Samantha said...

How we wish as parents that we could take away all of the hurt and pain from our kids. What a beautifully written post, and what wonderful advice that you've given to your daughter. You have provided her with what she needs - unconditional love and knowing that she has the support of her mother and family. She'll be fine. Thanks for this post.

 
At June 26, 2011 at 10:02 PM , Blogger Lynnae said...

I love it, Janae! That is the message I want to send to my daughters too. Thanks for putting it into such wonderful words.

 
At June 27, 2011 at 9:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

You are amazing ... thx! I think this is a lesson even nearly 39 y/o struggle with at times.

 
At June 27, 2011 at 8:16 PM , Blogger thingsthatkeepmesane.com said...

These are the exact things I tell my daughters! I'm SO jealous that they have each other. I always wanted a sister! I heard it starts getting pretty mean in the 1st grade, I'm in for a fun year!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home