This Page

has been moved to new address

Lessons I've Learned from my Children

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
----------------------------------------------- */ body { background:#aba; margin:0; padding:20px 10px; text-align:center; font:x-small/1.5em "Trebuchet MS",Verdana,Arial,Sans-serif; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } /* Page Structure ----------------------------------------------- */ /* The images which help create rounded corners depend on the following widths and measurements. If you want to change these measurements, the images will also need to change. */ @media all { #content { width:740px; margin:0 auto; text-align:left; } #main { width:485px; float:left; background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:15px 0 0; padding:0 0 10px; color:#000; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } #main2 { float:left; width:100%; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 0 0; } #main3 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/rails_main.gif") repeat-y; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:240px; float:right; margin:15px 0 0; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; background:#fff; } #main2 { float:none; background:none; } #main3 { background:none; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Links ----------------------------------------------- */ a:link { color:#258; } a:visited { color:#666; } a:hover { color:#c63; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Blog Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 0; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #header div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #header { background:#456; } #header div { background:none; } } #blog-title { margin:0; padding:10px 30px 5px; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; } #blog-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#fff; } #description { margin:0; padding:5px 30px 10px; font-size:94%; line-height:1.5em; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 28px 0 43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#357; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px 0; } .post-title { margin:0; font-size:135%; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; color:#333; } a.title-link, .post-title strong { text-decoration:none; display:block; } a.title-link:hover { background-color:#ded; color:#000; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#fff; padding:10px 14px 1px 29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { background:#ded; margin:0; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px; border-bottom:1px solid #eee; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color:#666; text-align:right; } html>body p.post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ccc; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; color:#666; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:20px 0 15px 0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding:0 14px 2px 29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#333; } #comments-block { margin:0 15px 0 9px; } .comment-data { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; color:#666; } .comment-poster { font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#666; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#666; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #profile-container { background:#cdc url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 15px; padding:0 0 10px; color:#345; } #profile-container h2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 15px .2em; margin:0; border-width:0; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#234; } } @media handheld { #profile-container { background:#cdc; } #profile-container h2 { background:none; } } .profile-datablock { margin:0 15px .5em; border-top:1px dotted #aba; padding-top:8px; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #fff; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } #profile-container p { margin:0 15px .5em; } #profile-container .profile-textblock { clear:left; } #profile-container a { color:#258; } .profile-link a { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_profile.gif") no-repeat 0 .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } ul.profile-datablock { list-style-type:none; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .box { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color:#666; } .box2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 13px 8px; } } @media handheld { .box { background:#fff; } .box2 { background:none; } } .sidebar-title { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#333; } .box ul { margin:.5em 0 1.25em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; } .box ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding:0 0 3px 16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eee; line-height:1.4em; } .box p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; margin:0; padding:15px 0 0; } @media all { #footer div { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #footer div div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #footer div { background:#456; } #footer div div { background:none; } } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#fff;} /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding:0 15px 0; }

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Lessons I've Learned from my Children

I've heard numerous people say, "I learn so much from my children.  They teach me every day."  I completely respect that, but I never thought I had those type of children.  Recently, however, I find I am learning, quite a bit.

My 5-year-old daughter, Evie, for instance, is now a fount of helpfulness and wisdom: 

Evie:"Mom can I organize your bathroom while you get ready?"
Me: "You want to organize?  Uh...yes."

 A few minutes later she is in a serious organizing zone.

Evie:"Mom, where does this go (eyeliner)?"
Me: "In the red pouch. " 
Evie (exasperated): "Mom, you shouldn't call it a pouch.  Someone might think you have a kangaroo because only kangaroos have pouches.  Instead, you should call it a purse."
Me: "Oh, you're right about that.  I wouldn't want to confuse anyone.  Most people actually call that a makeup case or makeup bag."
Evie (deadpan) "Then why did you call it a pouch?"

On another education note:  This week my toddler, Mase, taught me that if you fill a glass of water from the refrigerator water dispenser and tip the full glass backwards so it leans against the water dispenser lever, and leave it there, the kitchen will flood, quickly.

And, finally, a positive lesson, prompted by my 1-year-old:  I discovered if someone purposely drops the remote control for an adjustable bed into the toilet and abandons it for someone else to discover an hour later, you can just dry it out under the ceiling fan for the day.  It may still work.

Grateful Mom Goal of the Day:  Today I'll be taking organizing and  proper speaking lessons from my 5-year-old. 

Labels: , , , , , ,

18 Comments:

At April 27, 2011 at 7:56 AM , Blogger Mimi said...

This is so cute - it brightened my day! My four kids are in their 20s now and I'm still learning!

 
At April 27, 2011 at 7:59 AM , Blogger Karen Greenberg said...

I'm glad you have such a positive attitude. I need to learn from you! I used to get really frustrated being corrected by my kids like that. You rock!

 
At April 27, 2011 at 8:36 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

LOL! With all the "advice" I get now, I'm just waiting for the teen years to hit [shudder] :)

 
At April 27, 2011 at 8:38 AM , Blogger The Neal Family said...

That is hilarious! Your kids are full of funny moments. Someday they will love to read your blog full of all the crazy things they did!

 
At April 27, 2011 at 9:23 AM , Blogger Jaclyn M said...

I love Evie... She is so cute! I swear my kids are 10x smarter than I am. They correct me all the time.

 
At April 27, 2011 at 9:50 AM , Blogger Branson said...

Oh my goodness kids are so funny! Love this collection of lessons ;-)

 
At April 27, 2011 at 10:45 AM , Blogger Leda said...

I agree with Mimi...us Moms NEVER stop learning. Then the grandkids teach us so much more than we ever thought possible!
You are so much fun to read GGM! My daughter and I were just talking about your blog this morning, over Skype. ...look at that -YOU ARE FAMOUS!

 
At April 27, 2011 at 10:56 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

That is too cute! I love that kids just want to teach you the stuff that they learn.

 
At April 27, 2011 at 10:59 AM , Blogger Jessica said...

I think I would skip the advice from the 1 year old and the toddler, instead focusing my time on the 5 year old's organizing advice.

 
At April 27, 2011 at 2:29 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Too Funny! Thanks for the laugh, I love the kitchen flood, I have very creative children as well!! When your daughter is done organizing you, she is welcome to come to my house! Lol! Always love to visit you!!! Thanks!

 
At April 27, 2011 at 4:39 PM , Blogger Karen Greenberg said...

@Laura: Those years come way too fast, too! My 10-year-old acts the way I did at 14. If this is 10, I'm TERRIFIED of 14!

 
At April 27, 2011 at 4:47 PM , Blogger Sandra Tyler said...

I don't know what lessons I've learned, only that I'm constantly being caught by the big questions this day, from where is God to is there really an Easter Bunny, and why did I marry Daddy?

 
At April 27, 2011 at 5:24 PM , Blogger mrsmarkdave said...

Oh my goodness. Your posts are the best. I'm thinking I'm missing out by not having children. I will live vicariously through you ;-)

 
At April 27, 2011 at 7:19 PM , Blogger Sarah at The Stroller Ballet said...

Awwwe! I love how this puts everything into perspective. I'm just waiting for Peanut to get old enough to organize my stuff. That would be pure bliss :)

 
At April 27, 2011 at 8:10 PM , Blogger Beth said...

Today my daughter's friend informed me that "Tangled" is Spanish for "Rapunzel". Just thought I'd pass on that little gem.

 
At April 28, 2011 at 9:45 AM , Blogger Renee said...

Awe...so cute and sweet!

 
At April 30, 2011 at 7:39 AM , Blogger laughwithusblog said...

Well I must have "those" kids because I learn from them constantly! :) Ha! Actually what I learn is all the things I'm doing wrong!

 
At May 1, 2011 at 6:23 PM , Blogger Mrs E said...

just remember... NO POUCHES!
so cute:0)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home