This Page

has been moved to new address

Wardrobe Wars: Then and Now

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
----------------------------------------------- */ body { background:#aba; margin:0; padding:20px 10px; text-align:center; font:x-small/1.5em "Trebuchet MS",Verdana,Arial,Sans-serif; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } /* Page Structure ----------------------------------------------- */ /* The images which help create rounded corners depend on the following widths and measurements. If you want to change these measurements, the images will also need to change. */ @media all { #content { width:740px; margin:0 auto; text-align:left; } #main { width:485px; float:left; background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:15px 0 0; padding:0 0 10px; color:#000; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } #main2 { float:left; width:100%; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 0 0; } #main3 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/rails_main.gif") repeat-y; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:240px; float:right; margin:15px 0 0; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; background:#fff; } #main2 { float:none; background:none; } #main3 { background:none; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Links ----------------------------------------------- */ a:link { color:#258; } a:visited { color:#666; } a:hover { color:#c63; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Blog Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 0; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #header div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #header { background:#456; } #header div { background:none; } } #blog-title { margin:0; padding:10px 30px 5px; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; } #blog-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#fff; } #description { margin:0; padding:5px 30px 10px; font-size:94%; line-height:1.5em; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 28px 0 43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#357; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px 0; } .post-title { margin:0; font-size:135%; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; color:#333; } a.title-link, .post-title strong { text-decoration:none; display:block; } a.title-link:hover { background-color:#ded; color:#000; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#fff; padding:10px 14px 1px 29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { background:#ded; margin:0; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px; border-bottom:1px solid #eee; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color:#666; text-align:right; } html>body p.post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ccc; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; color:#666; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:20px 0 15px 0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding:0 14px 2px 29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#333; } #comments-block { margin:0 15px 0 9px; } .comment-data { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; color:#666; } .comment-poster { font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#666; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#666; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #profile-container { background:#cdc url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 15px; padding:0 0 10px; color:#345; } #profile-container h2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 15px .2em; margin:0; border-width:0; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#234; } } @media handheld { #profile-container { background:#cdc; } #profile-container h2 { background:none; } } .profile-datablock { margin:0 15px .5em; border-top:1px dotted #aba; padding-top:8px; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #fff; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } #profile-container p { margin:0 15px .5em; } #profile-container .profile-textblock { clear:left; } #profile-container a { color:#258; } .profile-link a { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_profile.gif") no-repeat 0 .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } ul.profile-datablock { list-style-type:none; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .box { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color:#666; } .box2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 13px 8px; } } @media handheld { .box { background:#fff; } .box2 { background:none; } } .sidebar-title { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#333; } .box ul { margin:.5em 0 1.25em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; } .box ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding:0 0 3px 16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eee; line-height:1.4em; } .box p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; margin:0; padding:15px 0 0; } @media all { #footer div { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #footer div div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #footer div { background:#456; } #footer div div { background:none; } } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#fff;} /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding:0 15px 0; }

Friday, April 22, 2011

Wardrobe Wars: Then and Now

My quite spirited 7-year-old daughter, Dani, has waged some magnificent clothing campaigns through the years.  Here is just a small sampling:

Must Wear Skirts (Age 4)
"I can't wear pants!!! Everyone wears skirts! I--NEED--SKIRTS!!!" she tearfully cries for numerous hours of her life.


No More Skirts (Age 5)
I was mean and made my daughter wear pants, but we slowly accumulated a wardrobe full of skirts.  Then, as you would expect, Dani decided she's not that into skirts anymore.  She wants pants.

Just Soft Pants (Age 6)
"These jeans are sooo scratchy.  Only soft pants!".

Must Change Clothes (Age 6 and 7)
Finally, my opinionated girl has slightly mellowed her clothing choices, but there has to me something, right?   "Mo-om, I can't wear the same clothes for the whole day!" 

A New Chapter Emerges
My, now 3-year-old, Mase, has decided to follow in the footsteps of his oldest sister.

He came home from church last week and disappeared.

About five minutes later he surfaces, dressed in an entirely different ensemble.
"I change clothes, all by self." he proudly states.

The Daddy Nightshirt
I thought I'd seen it all, but my innovative little dude came up with his own unique clothing battle: 

Last month, I was a bit more behind on laundry than usual (hard to believe if you saw my usual) and ran out of clean pajamas for Mase.   No problem.  I grabbed one of my husband's old tee-shirts and handed it to him, calling it a daddy nightshirt. 

Now, he will only wear his cute jammies during the day.  Most nights, he demands a daddy nightshirt! 

We were having company Wednesday night, so I attempted to dress him in some lovely moose pajamas. He wouldn't have it.  "That not Daddy nightshirt.  I'm man. Want daddy nightshirt!"  How can you argue with that?

Little does my man know that most of his daddy nightshirts are actually mommy nightshirts.  Shhh.

Grumpy Mom Goal of the Day: Surrender

Labels: , , ,

23 Comments:

At April 22, 2011 at 8:30 AM , Blogger John said...

My girls have gone through clothes stages too. Only skirts/dresses, only pants, no jeans whatsoever, and even once I had a 3 year old girl who would only wear blue!

 
At April 22, 2011 at 9:17 AM , Blogger Jennifer said...

That is so cute! My daughter loves to wear her ratty tatty dress up clothes when we go out in public-Makes for some interesting conversations with complete strangers! So far, dear son is fine with what I dress him in-who knows how long that will last?

 
At April 22, 2011 at 9:18 AM , Blogger Beth said...

Ahh, the clothing stages. I let my daughter pick her own clothes at 18 months, and she's been very opinionated about what she wears (she's 5 now, and WOW, some of those outfits...) and I swore with my son I would never let him choose, I was hoping that since he was a boy, he'd just go with it, like my brothers. Yep, that didn't work out so well for me. He was never a big fan of clothes, but at about 1 year, he was done with them. I had to bring him to the fabric store and let him pick out his own fabric (crazy stuff, with skulls, or tractors, or odd bat patterns, or BRIGHT orange basketballs) and I'd make him pants, and those were the ONLY pants he'd allow me to put on him. I know, he's 1, just make him wear whatever you want him too. That's MUCH easier said then done as he runs, squirms, takes off his pants, and kicks me while I try to dress him. It was just easier to let him dress like a lunatic. Now, he'll only wear his Dinosaur shirts, or his Hulk shirt. I've had to add appliques to his shirts so he'd have more things to wear. I'm going to attempt to applique a few pair of shorts too, since we got a bunch of hand-me-downs and I refuse to buy fabric if he already has things to wear. We'll see how "dino" shorts work. So, yeah, he and his sister have their own sense of style. It used to bother me, but after a few days of relative peace when it came to getting dressed, I decided it wasn't worth the fight.
I feel your pain.

 
At April 22, 2011 at 9:47 AM , Blogger Leda said...

Ohhhhh, the teenage years are going to be FUN!!!!!

 
At April 22, 2011 at 9:51 AM , Blogger heather said...

Oh. Growing up I don't even remember owning actual pajamas. We (my two brothers, and I) ALWAYS wore "Daddy Night Shirts!"

 
At April 22, 2011 at 10:27 AM , Blogger my3littlebirds said...

My daughter, who is not quite 2, has definite clothing preferences already. My mom made her 2 tutus, one pink, one blue and one green. She will ONLY wear the pink one. So funny!

 
At April 22, 2011 at 10:30 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

What you're little boy shouted at you, is the CUTEST thing EVER! You can not argue with that kind of logic!

 
At April 22, 2011 at 10:57 AM , Blogger Irish Italian Blessings said...

Oh man, so cute!! I dread the day my daughter can make her own choices. She's pretty tomboyish but I can already tell when she gets dressed up and is told how pretty she looks, she loves it and wants more!! I'll just cherish these moments of picking her outfits out for her :)

 
At April 22, 2011 at 11:29 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I have had diffent battles with each of my three lovelys! My daugter is and I think may always be a dress and skirt girl, but she does now need to wear leggins with everything! My oldest went through a stage where he had to dress like daddy, so at four and five insisted on wearing button down shirts and khakis, now he is very concerned about what the girl will think. My youngest went through a stage where he would change, all my himself starting at 2, three, four and even five time a day. Thank God they are all so funny or I would have lost my mind years ago! I always love my visits to your site!

 
At April 22, 2011 at 12:00 PM , Blogger Sandra Tyler said...

Oh, glad I have boys! Clothes are not an issue -- every morning I lay out the jeans and whatever faded Star Wars shirt is at hand. And we're out the door (well, til it comes to brushing their teeth...which is like PULLING teeth...)

 
At April 22, 2011 at 4:24 PM , Blogger Kerri said...

I just found your blog via http://sanitysoverrated.blogspot.com/ and I love it! Am passing it along to my sis-in-law - hilarious!

 
At April 22, 2011 at 4:50 PM , Blogger Charlotte said...

My daughter flitted in and out of the skirt only phase. And her sister five years later was kind enough to have an opposite inclination so I could never hand clothes down easily.

 
At April 22, 2011 at 6:15 PM , Blogger lovinangels said...

I have three girls. My wardrobe wars are never over. Currently I am the meanest mom alive because I'm against torn jeans. Which means I'm probably the oldest, fuddy-duddiest mom alive, too.
Don't know, don't care. Ripped is where the line is drawn. You can not match, totally clash, dress in a tutu on a day that isn't Halloween, I don't care, as long as you don't look like I don't buy you clothes.

 
At April 22, 2011 at 9:17 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

He is so cute in his "daddy" night shirt. I have one of those. She is a 3 yr old "pincess". This girl must wear princess dresses everyday. There is several changings throughout the day too. And a bathing suit outfit in there too. I must take pics of the outfits one day. Too funny. I hope you have a blessed Easter.
God Bless,
Shelley

 
At April 22, 2011 at 9:51 PM , Blogger Amanda said...

Too cute!! My 6 year old boys only wantto wear warm up pants and refuse to color coordinate at all.

 
At April 23, 2011 at 12:54 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, my girls are the divas with clothing ... but Buddy? Gheesh! he came home from school with his shirt inside out -- somehow I had missed it in the morning, but how did *he* miss it when he put the thing on?!

(I guess I shouldn't talk -- my college girlfriends just reminded me that I went to Church 1 day w/2 different shoes. I was trying to decide in the morning and didn't realize it till I took my normal seat on the the table in the front of the room to teach Gospel Doctrine and noticed my 2 different shoes ... oh yeah! Like Mommy like Son I guess)

Have a great Easter!

 
At April 23, 2011 at 9:28 AM , Blogger LBB said...

Oh no...! I deal with it too :) I am not looking forward to the teen years!!
Its cute right now & I'm sure we'll look back on the stages & laugh....even if my 5 year old insists on wearing her paint smock as a dress :)

 
At April 23, 2011 at 1:50 PM , Blogger We 2 Bees said...

So cute! And so true - they have a mind of their own, mine have gone through many clothing battles very similar to yours. At least they wear clothes, mine went through a no clothes battle.

 
At April 23, 2011 at 7:02 PM , Blogger NonDomesticMama said...

Sigh. Mine go through those phases too. Either they want to change every five minutes or they want to continue to wear the same food encrusted shirt for eternity. :)

 
At April 23, 2011 at 7:09 PM , Anonymous Mrs. C said...

They are so stinkin cute! =)

 
At April 24, 2011 at 10:31 AM , Blogger laughwithusblog said...

Hilarious! I have been there too. Why do they have to be so opinionated anyway. It's not like I'm that...oh wait...I guess I am! :)

 
At April 24, 2011 at 2:09 PM , Blogger Quirky Homemaker said...

That's awesome! LOL Gotta love the "Daddy" nightshirts and "I'm man". My daughter goes through about 5 or 6 wardrobe changes a day. Every now and then I flip out about it. My son went through an Indiana Jones phase, a cowboy phase, an army guys phase. And now, he's just kind of normal. Kind of. Thank goodness he has to wear a uniform to school though!

 
At April 25, 2011 at 7:01 AM , Blogger Caitlin MidAtlantic said...

At 16 months old, Laura is already asserting her personal style. So far, this style includes several jackets and a winter hat. It's Maryland in April. There is no way the child is chilly!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home