This Page

has been moved to new address

The Audacity of Sunscreen

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
----------------------------------------------- */ body { background:#aba; margin:0; padding:20px 10px; text-align:center; font:x-small/1.5em "Trebuchet MS",Verdana,Arial,Sans-serif; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } /* Page Structure ----------------------------------------------- */ /* The images which help create rounded corners depend on the following widths and measurements. If you want to change these measurements, the images will also need to change. */ @media all { #content { width:740px; margin:0 auto; text-align:left; } #main { width:485px; float:left; background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:15px 0 0; padding:0 0 10px; color:#000; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } #main2 { float:left; width:100%; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 0 0; } #main3 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/rails_main.gif") repeat-y; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:240px; float:right; margin:15px 0 0; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; background:#fff; } #main2 { float:none; background:none; } #main3 { background:none; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Links ----------------------------------------------- */ a:link { color:#258; } a:visited { color:#666; } a:hover { color:#c63; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Blog Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 0; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #header div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #header { background:#456; } #header div { background:none; } } #blog-title { margin:0; padding:10px 30px 5px; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; } #blog-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#fff; } #description { margin:0; padding:5px 30px 10px; font-size:94%; line-height:1.5em; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 28px 0 43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#357; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px 0; } .post-title { margin:0; font-size:135%; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; color:#333; } a.title-link, .post-title strong { text-decoration:none; display:block; } a.title-link:hover { background-color:#ded; color:#000; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#fff; padding:10px 14px 1px 29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { background:#ded; margin:0; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px; border-bottom:1px solid #eee; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color:#666; text-align:right; } html>body p.post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ccc; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; color:#666; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:20px 0 15px 0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding:0 14px 2px 29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#333; } #comments-block { margin:0 15px 0 9px; } .comment-data { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; color:#666; } .comment-poster { font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#666; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#666; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #profile-container { background:#cdc url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 15px; padding:0 0 10px; color:#345; } #profile-container h2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 15px .2em; margin:0; border-width:0; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#234; } } @media handheld { #profile-container { background:#cdc; } #profile-container h2 { background:none; } } .profile-datablock { margin:0 15px .5em; border-top:1px dotted #aba; padding-top:8px; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #fff; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } #profile-container p { margin:0 15px .5em; } #profile-container .profile-textblock { clear:left; } #profile-container a { color:#258; } .profile-link a { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_profile.gif") no-repeat 0 .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } ul.profile-datablock { list-style-type:none; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .box { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color:#666; } .box2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 13px 8px; } } @media handheld { .box { background:#fff; } .box2 { background:none; } } .sidebar-title { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#333; } .box ul { margin:.5em 0 1.25em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; } .box ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding:0 0 3px 16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eee; line-height:1.4em; } .box p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; margin:0; padding:15px 0 0; } @media all { #footer div { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #footer div div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #footer div { background:#456; } #footer div div { background:none; } } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#fff;} /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding:0 15px 0; }

Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Audacity of Sunscreen

We have a sign-up sheet in our house entitled: Whose turn is it to be difficult today?  At least it seems that way.  Yesterday morning, it was my five-year-old, Evie's turn.  It was all my fault.  I had the audacity to switch from a spray-on sunscreen to a lotion sunscreen.  Here's how my choice went down.

Evie (as I started applying sunscreen): What are you doing!?!  What is this stuff?

Me: Sunscreen.

Evie: That's not sunscreen!

Me: It's lotion.

Evie: You said it was sunscreen.  Yuck!  It feels all slimy.  Get it off me!!!  Stop!

Evie (as I covered her neck in sunscreen): Ehh, eh eh eh.  You're choking me!  Quit choking me!

Evie (after I'm finished): Moooom!  I'm all white and slimy! I don't like to be this white!  Ick! Get it off!  Get it off!

Grateful Mom Goal of the Day:  Appreciating the gift of sunscreen and the gift of Evie.

Labels: ,

38 Comments:

At August 13, 2011 at 7:49 AM , Blogger NaDell said...

I love the spray on (no rub) sunscreen! It's so much easier. I still have to use the regular kind with my baby, but I hate that greasy feeling too. I guess now she ought to appreciate the good stuff, right?

 
At August 13, 2011 at 8:38 AM , Blogger Merrill said...

Oh Mom! How dare you switch sunscreen?!? ;) At my house, that ranks right up there with asking someone to brush her teeth or get dressed on a Saturday morning or pick up the 4 pairs of shoes scattered around the downstairs! Us moms are SO demanding and difficult!

 
At August 13, 2011 at 8:47 AM , Blogger Am I Really Grown Up? said...

My daughter is just as bad with spray on sunscreen! Don't spray my face! I think it's in my eyes! This smells bad and tastes bad! I don't need it, it's not that sunny (as she's squinting).

 
At August 13, 2011 at 8:49 AM , Blogger Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I guess it would be icky if you weren't used to it. My twins fight over who gets sunscreen first - it cracks me up.

 
At August 13, 2011 at 9:22 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Gosh, I love to visit your site!! I love this post and I love Evie!!!! We too have a "Who's going to difficult today list" at our house, we also regualry celebrate "How to drive mommy crazy day"! Thanks for the laugh!! I love how you view motherhood!!!! You are just great!!!

 
At August 13, 2011 at 9:30 AM , Blogger Sandy -- As Told By Mommy said...

Haha, kids!

 
At August 13, 2011 at 9:39 AM , Blogger John said...

My kids called me "Sunscreen Mom, coming after me with SPF 50!" Until the day Sunscreen Mom went on vacation! Kids are fun!

 
At August 13, 2011 at 10:05 AM , Blogger Valerie said...

Haha! I really believed you had a sign-up sheet at first and thought that was a hilarious idea. :) Just might do that on an especially bad day sometime!!

 
At August 13, 2011 at 10:27 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

You know, I can't remember which blog I visited, but she had a review of sunscreen that wasn't greasy at all, and her kids loved. It was a lotion type too. It sounded like it was pretty good. I can't remember right now...sorry! I'm just a tease, I know;)

 
At August 13, 2011 at 10:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love my visits. I am reminded I can be grateful too!!

 
At August 13, 2011 at 10:54 AM , Blogger Mom of 12 said...

I love the spray on kind too. If I let the kids apply their own, that lotion stuff is everywhere. And the Dog Walker can use half a bottle by himself. Yesterday at the zoo he decided to help me a little and lifted up my hair to do the back of my neck. My hair was all down, so my neck had the best shade at the zoo!
Sandy

 
At August 13, 2011 at 11:06 AM , Anonymous Babblin' Brooke said...

We recently made the switch also. Although I love the spray for it's convenience and the fact that it does a great job (in my opinion), I just didn't like having to buy soooo much of it. It just doesn't last very long. So, back to the lotion we went.

Poor Evie!

 
At August 13, 2011 at 12:10 PM , Blogger LA Botchar said...

The colored stuff always gets me!! If you have a boy child and a girl child...guess what? You need pink and blue (or yellow, green, orange --- just NOT pink or purple!!) versions. And heaven help you if you run out of the "boy" color. I swear my Monkey Boy would rather burn under the white hot intensity of a 1000 suns before he would let me put pink sunscreen on his body!

 
At August 13, 2011 at 1:32 PM , Blogger Jen said...

I really love your goals of the day...I'm going to have to start implementing this in my house as well ;)

 
At August 13, 2011 at 2:31 PM , Blogger just me said...

My kids think everyday is their day to be difficult. I like your idea of a sign up sheet. That way I can confront them with the fact that they cannot be difficult today because it is not their day. I'm absolutely convinced this will work!

 
At August 13, 2011 at 3:00 PM , Blogger LeAnn said...

I must admit the creamy sunscreem is kind of slimy; it seems cheaper so that is what I get. I loved your conversation. Children are so priceless. Just keep on enjoying those moments an recording them. LOL on this one.
Blessings to you!

 
At August 13, 2011 at 3:36 PM , Blogger BNM said...

your child sounds like mine.. so dramatic hahaha

 
At August 13, 2011 at 4:49 PM , Blogger Mikailah Autumn said...

That is funny! Sounds like my niece.. she hates sunscreen. (The lotion kind) :D
Blessings~
Mikailah

 
At August 13, 2011 at 5:08 PM , Blogger Angel said...

funny..!!!!!!!!
http://angelhealthylifestyle.blogspot.com/

 
At August 13, 2011 at 5:55 PM , Blogger Melanie said...

my kids complain with the spray on stuff. "It's cold" "It tickles" "I don't like it"

Kids...gotta love them...especially when you get a break from them every once and a while!

 
At August 13, 2011 at 7:43 PM , Blogger Lara Neves said...

That was pretty rude of you to change sunscreen types without putting in a written request and going through all the red tape!

My kids are the opposite, they freak out if I buy the spray on kind. Weirdos.

 
At August 13, 2011 at 7:56 PM , Blogger Randomlicious Memoirs said...

Haha, I love your kids! OUrs would have fun playing together! :)
We went from the lotion..slimy white gooey stuff to the spray. The spray is SOO Much easier!

 
At August 13, 2011 at 8:25 PM , Blogger Kimberly said...

That's why I love the spray on sunscreen. ;)

 
At August 13, 2011 at 10:12 PM , Blogger laughwithusblog said...

I hear ya! I've actually never tried the spray on kind. Does it work just as well?

 
At August 13, 2011 at 10:13 PM , Blogger Jaclyn M said...

Awww I love her!! I miss you guys... WE NEED to get together. Can you believe they will be in kindergarten??

 
At August 13, 2011 at 10:43 PM , Blogger Mommy Inconsistent said...

Wow, now I feel lucky...this is the one thing my kids has never complained about...they love lotion. I have to stop them from wanting to put too much on! Go figure.

 
At August 14, 2011 at 5:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw! I'm going to remember that the next time I go swimming with my nieces!

 
At August 14, 2011 at 8:12 AM , Blogger Kim of Mo Betta said...

Oh yes, my girls hate the lotion. Even the spray on lotion. If it's not the clear mist they go nuts! (and I buy whatever is on sale!) and of course, then it has to be something completely different for their face. Kids are so high-maintenance ;)

 
At August 14, 2011 at 9:33 AM , Blogger Sandra Tyler said...

I used the spray stuff until i read it doesn't give as much coverage -- the cream stuff is a pain in the #$%!. I will not miss these summer days that have to start out with the icky suntan ritual!

 
At August 14, 2011 at 9:47 AM , Blogger Liz Mays said...

If she uses it for a few more times, she will start to hate the spray, right?

 
At August 14, 2011 at 3:13 PM , Anonymous Marina at My Busy Children said...

I recently switched to all natural sunscreens, which are terribly expensive but presumabely not as harmful as the conventional ones.

Well, for some reason the brand I biught smells like spoiled butter, my preschooler refuses to have it applied with screams It Smells, it Smells!

 
At August 14, 2011 at 8:05 PM , Blogger LaVonne said...

I am always in awe at how many comments you get. I always love coming to your blog to hear your stories. Because your stories are mine too :)

My 3 year old will sometimes still cry when I put sunscreen on her. Will it ever end? :)

 
At August 15, 2011 at 12:11 AM , Blogger Jessica said...

Tell her she can have candy when you are done applying the sunscreen. Always works for my kids.

 
At August 15, 2011 at 1:08 AM , Blogger Help! Mama Remote... said...

Rotfl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!oh my gosh! I'm praying no one wants to be difficult tomorrow. LOL

 
At August 15, 2011 at 4:30 AM , Anonymous E @ Act Fast Chef said...

Lol! That is funny :) It is really hard to switch back to lotion sunscreen once you get used to the spray type!

 
At August 15, 2011 at 8:54 AM , Blogger Brandi said...

I remember being a kid and feeling like that! It cracks me up! :) Now I slather it all on. :)

 
At August 15, 2011 at 7:09 PM , Blogger Texas Type A Mom said...

Poor thing! My daughter is the opposite - I buy lotion sunscreen and when I bought spray she flipped out saying I was making her wet and dirty. Kids crave consistency so much, changing things up messes with their heads.

 
At August 16, 2011 at 10:42 AM , Blogger Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

She sounds just like my daughter! How dare you switch it up on her!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home