This Page

has been moved to new address

Crying It Out, Just Like My Husband

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
----------------------------------------------- */ body { background:#aba; margin:0; padding:20px 10px; text-align:center; font:x-small/1.5em "Trebuchet MS",Verdana,Arial,Sans-serif; color:#333; font-size/* */:/**/small; font-size: /**/small; } /* Page Structure ----------------------------------------------- */ /* The images which help create rounded corners depend on the following widths and measurements. If you want to change these measurements, the images will also need to change. */ @media all { #content { width:740px; margin:0 auto; text-align:left; } #main { width:485px; float:left; background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:15px 0 0; padding:0 0 10px; color:#000; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } #main2 { float:left; width:100%; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_main_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 0 0; } #main3 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/rails_main.gif") repeat-y; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:240px; float:right; margin:15px 0 0; font-size:97%; line-height:1.5em; } } @media handheld { #content { width:90%; } #main { width:100%; float:none; background:#fff; } #main2 { float:none; background:none; } #main3 { background:none; padding:0; } #sidebar { width:100%; float:none; } } /* Links ----------------------------------------------- */ a:link { color:#258; } a:visited { color:#666; } a:hover { color:#c63; } a img { border-width:0; } /* Blog Header ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #header { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 0; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #header div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #header { background:#456; } #header div { background:none; } } #blog-title { margin:0; padding:10px 30px 5px; font-size:200%; line-height:1.2em; } #blog-title a { text-decoration:none; color:#fff; } #description { margin:0; padding:5px 30px 10px; font-size:94%; line-height:1.5em; } /* Posts ----------------------------------------------- */ .date-header { margin:0 28px 0 43px; font-size:85%; line-height:2em; text-transform:uppercase; letter-spacing:.2em; color:#357; } .post { margin:.3em 0 25px; padding:0 13px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px 0; } .post-title { margin:0; font-size:135%; line-height:1.5em; background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow.gif") no-repeat 10px .5em; display:block; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; color:#333; } a.title-link, .post-title strong { text-decoration:none; display:block; } a.title-link:hover { background-color:#ded; color:#000; } .post-body { border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:0 1px 1px; border-bottom-color:#fff; padding:10px 14px 1px 29px; } html>body .post-body { border-bottom-width:0; } .post p { margin:0 0 .75em; } p.post-footer { background:#ded; margin:0; padding:2px 14px 2px 29px; border:1px dotted #bbb; border-width:1px; border-bottom:1px solid #eee; font-size:100%; line-height:1.5em; color:#666; text-align:right; } html>body p.post-footer { border-bottom-color:transparent; } p.post-footer em { display:block; float:left; text-align:left; font-style:normal; } a.comment-link { /* IE5.0/Win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* Respecified, for IE5/Mac's benefit */ background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left:14px; } .post img { margin:0 0 5px 0; padding:4px; border:1px solid #ccc; } blockquote { margin:.75em 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:1px 0; padding:5px 15px; color:#666; } .post blockquote p { margin:.5em 0; } /* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments { margin:-25px 13px 0; border:1px dotted #ccc; border-width:0 1px 1px; padding:20px 0 15px 0; } #comments h4 { margin:0 0 10px; padding:0 14px 2px 29px; border-bottom:1px dotted #ccc; font-size:120%; line-height:1.4em; color:#333; } #comments-block { margin:0 15px 0 9px; } .comment-data { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_comment.gif") no-repeat 2px .3em; margin:.5em 0; padding:0 0 0 20px; color:#666; } .comment-poster { font-weight:bold; } .comment-body { margin:0 0 1.25em; padding:0 0 0 20px; } .comment-body p { margin:0 0 .5em; } .comment-timestamp { margin:0 0 .5em; padding:0 0 .75em 20px; color:#666; } .comment-timestamp a:link { color:#666; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } /* Profile ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #profile-container { background:#cdc url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; margin:0 0 15px; padding:0 0 10px; color:#345; } #profile-container h2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_prof_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:10px 15px .2em; margin:0; border-width:0; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#234; } } @media handheld { #profile-container { background:#cdc; } #profile-container h2 { background:none; } } .profile-datablock { margin:0 15px .5em; border-top:1px dotted #aba; padding-top:8px; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #fff; } .profile-data strong { display:block; } #profile-container p { margin:0 15px .5em; } #profile-container .profile-textblock { clear:left; } #profile-container a { color:#258; } .profile-link a { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_profile.gif") no-repeat 0 .1em; padding-left:15px; font-weight:bold; } ul.profile-datablock { list-style-type:none; } /* Sidebar Boxes ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { .box { background:#fff url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_top.gif") no-repeat left top; margin:0 0 15px; padding:10px 0 0; color:#666; } .box2 { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_side_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 13px 8px; } } @media handheld { .box { background:#fff; } .box2 { background:none; } } .sidebar-title { margin:0; padding:0 0 .2em; border-bottom:1px dotted #9b9; font-size:115%; line-height:1.5em; color:#333; } .box ul { margin:.5em 0 1.25em; padding:0 0px; list-style:none; } .box ul li { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/icon_arrow_sm.gif") no-repeat 2px .25em; margin:0; padding:0 0 3px 16px; margin-bottom:3px; border-bottom:1px dotted #eee; line-height:1.4em; } .box p { margin:0 0 .6em; } /* Footer ----------------------------------------------- */ #footer { clear:both; margin:0; padding:15px 0 0; } @media all { #footer div { background:#456 url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_top.gif") no-repeat left top; padding:8px 0 0; color:#fff; } #footer div div { background:url("http://www.blogblog.com/rounders/corners_cap_bot.gif") no-repeat left bottom; padding:0 15px 8px; } } @media handheld { #footer div { background:#456; } #footer div div { background:none; } } #footer hr {display:none;} #footer p {margin:0;} #footer a {color:#fff;} /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { } #postfeeds { padding:0 15px 0; }

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Crying It Out, Just Like My Husband


I think I'm taking on some of my husband's ways in my old age.

I am terrible at getting my babies to sleep on their own.  I know there are miraculous books on how to do this, but I'm much too lazy to read them. 

For all of my children I've resorted to the express method--crying it out.  I knew the outcome would be worth it, but it was always a dreaded time.

With my second baby I was particularly upset one night.  My little girl was crying her most pathetic cry and my husband was sound asleep.  His indifferent heavy breathing was grating on my every nerve.  So, I did what any frazzled mother would do.  I thumped him on the shoulder and woke him up.

"How can you sleep when our baby suffers."
"Just turn off the monitor and go to sleep." he mumbled.
"How can you say that?!  Doesn't it pain you to your utter core to know our baby is suffering?"
"No."
"What's wrong with you?  Why don't you get upset?  How can you sleep at a time like this!?!
Now I had his attention.
"You say that.  But would you want me to get upset?  Would you want me to stay up with you and cry and worry?  Do you really want your husband to be like that?"

Dang him!  I knew my husband had a lame point, but I was NOT going to give him the satisfaction of telling him he was right.  Instead, I kicked him and let him go back to sleep.   

Baby #4 (13 months now) has already cried it out long ago, but has been sick this past month.  I just couldn't let him cry when he was so sick.  So, I've been getting up with him at night.  But, he is better and I am done.

Last night he got to cry it out.  My heart ached as I went to my little man's room, told him to go back to sleep, then left.  As you would expect, he was not thrilled with my proclamation and cried, and cried.  Reluctantly, I turned off the monitor and went to sleep. 

Now, I'm still not admitting my husband was right, but my baby woke up giggling this morning and my extra sleep was blissful.


Grateful Mom Goal of the Day:  Definitely counting my blessings and giving lots of 
extra cuddles to my rejected little man today.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

At March 17, 2011 at 11:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I do want my husband to stay up with me and cry and worry and be miserable like me. But I'm not a nice person, so that's probably why ;)

By the time I let our daughter cry it out (9months), I was so fed up I really didn't feel bad anymore. I turned off the audio monitor, kept an eye on the video monitor and she was "sleep trained" within 4 days. Woohoo!

 
At March 17, 2011 at 11:56 AM , Blogger Erin said...

I hate that part of child rearing. My baby is almost 10 months, and she was doing pretty well, until she got sick. So I made her cry it out again, and that lasted for about two weeks, and then the last two nights she has been seeming to maybe be getting sick again and I was up most of the night with her last night. Aargh!

But reading this post helps me feel a bit better, knowing others are in my same situation :)

 
At March 17, 2011 at 1:23 PM , Blogger Cori said...

My baby (almost) 8mos has slept through the night since about 2mos! I am soooo worried to have another baby because I have been so blessed with this one and her sleeping habits :) ha! Your posts are sooo funny..I am so glad I found your blog :)

 
At March 17, 2011 at 1:48 PM , Blogger my3littlebirds said...

Funny...I posted about sleep issues today too! We ARE living parallel lives Janae! Maybe we are twins who were separated at birth. I'll ask my mom some probing questions tonight and get back with you. : )

 
At March 17, 2011 at 1:56 PM , Blogger kimber said...

my guy slept 12 hours at night until about the time he started crawling(almost 7 months). Because of either the extra energy being expended or sore teeth/gums, he doesn't seem to be getting enough calories during the day to GO all night anymore. But it's been 3 days since he woke me up in the night, so I'm crossing my fingers!

 
At March 17, 2011 at 2:05 PM , Blogger heather said...

Okay, so you and I are on the same brain wave because I was just getting ready to post about the fact that I don't think the "cry it out" method is going to work with my kid.

How long did he cry??

 
At March 17, 2011 at 3:40 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I don't have kiddos yet - but I can only imagine how torn I will be with this method and then at the same time, how some days I'll just be ready to let them cry it out!
Kudos to you!

 
At March 17, 2011 at 5:26 PM , Blogger LaVonne said...

I couldn't do it with baby one. Now, she is still in our bed and needs us to help her fall asleep. Ahhh! Not fun! So baby number 2 next year? It will be crying!!!! :)

 
At March 17, 2011 at 6:42 PM , Blogger Jfam said...

I'm dreading letting my youngest cry it out....she's 6 months now and if I catch her before she hits the overtired phase I have to rock her to get her to sleep, normally she'll go to sleep when I lay her down if I catch her before that point.....tonight..sadly...I didn't :(

I always worry she's going to wake up the MONSTER and by MONSTER I mean the two year old who sleeps in the next room! Your a BRAVE mom.

 
At March 17, 2011 at 9:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first born went to sleep with a Nuke and when she got about 5-7 mos I slowly got that thing out of her mouth ... by the time she was 8 mos she was binky free and b'c she was so easy going rarely cried before bed. Of course I ended up keeping her up till 10:30 b'c I missed her so much - and I was working outside the home 40 hours a week - my hubby was building our house and so I was alone with her - I considered it my fave time with my 1st born.
My second born was told that when he slept thru the night - that was it - breastfeeding was over. I don't remember having him cry himself to sleep b'c he was breastfed and we slept together all the time. By the time he was 2 or so - he was going to bed pretty easily. I must admit my kids didn't go to bed very well until they were about 7 or 10 b'c they were always asking to have something to eat. I think that the t.v. being on had something to do with that.
Our house was never big enuf for me to put up with a crying bebe - I can't STAND a crying bebe - but that's just me ... I'm glad you're strong. :)

 
At March 20, 2011 at 3:44 PM , Blogger Donna said...

We had to do this on our vacation last week. I agree that it's hard to listen to your baby cry and that it's definitely worth it once they learn that it's time to go back to sleep. My husband is just like yours too, totally relaxed about it! Men!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home